Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hello - I have a macbook pro 15 which I use to access a medical

Hello - I have a...
Hello - I have a macbook pro 15 " which I use to access a medical records soft ware centricity (GE) via Citrix on wireless network. 5-8 times per day I get disconnected and have to log back in. Sometimes the cursor (with or without the hourglass) moves but clicking does nothing, sometimes the cursor doesn't move at all. This happens both at the office & at home. No other web-application does this and it is about the same with Safari or Firefox. My Mini-Mac at office (wired) and my PC (Dell Optiplex wireless) at home work fine. Other mac (air) and android wireless users seldom if ever get disconnected. The person at ALN (which serves as our interface with Centricity) used one of those remote apps to take control of my computer. He also was getting kicked out every minute or two; he told me there must be some bottleneck affecting "high bandwidth-using apps"; he advised me wipe and reinstall OS X (10.6.7). My Macbook is ~two years old, has 4 MB RAM and has about 4000 hours of use. I recently ran Avast which found no malware and Sophos which found one. I also had it checked at an independent computer repair place down the street; they said everything checked out.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Answered in 1 day by:
10/10/2011
David, Mac Support Specialist

This sounds like there is a problem with your network settings.

To test this out you can create a new network location in System Preferences.

Locations are described in this Apple support document:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

When you have created a new location, change the port priority to put Airport at the top. The above document also describes how to do this.

When you're done make sure the Apply button has been clicked, then join your wireless network again, and test the connection.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
David, Mac Support Specialist
David - I don't think that 's going to help because "air-port " is already on top.

-robby13851

I don't believe Airport not being at the top was the the issue, but when you create a new network location it is good to make sure it is back at the top.

The main approach to resolving this issue would be to create a new network location, to rule out all of the settings in the current location.

A new location basically creates a new set of network settings. It's used for example if you use your computer in two locations that have different connection types and settings. It is used in this case to troubleshoot the issue by narrowing the issue down or resolving it by creating a new set of settings.

Article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712 describes how to create a new network location depending on your version of OS X. Scroll down to the section on making a new location and then follow the 8 steps, and test the connection again.

I think this should resolve this problem, as there are other Macs that do not experience these issues on the same network. I think if they don't then it could be an issue with the Airport MTU settings, but these are more advanced, and should be tried after creating a new network connection.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Hello David - thanks for looking at my question last week. You recommended creating a dedicated location in System Preferences for the wireless router I am using. I have had two people do it but that has not changed the performance. It still disconnects and freezes 6 - 8 times per day. btw, the technical documents you refer to, do not include instructions for OSX 10.5.6. Do you have any other thoughts on this? Thanks,

[email protected]

First update 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 using Software Update in the  menu.

Then the issue could be wireless interference, or barriers between the Mac and the router.

There is a good article on ruling out possible wireless problems here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1365

If it isn't that it could be an MTU setting but not as likely, or the application making the connection is having problems.

Please let me know how you get on.

Best regards,
David, Mac Support Specialist