Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My router is not working. Is there a way to test if it is still

Customer Question

My router is not working. Is there a way to test if it is still functional?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
So you just have the cable modem and it was conencted to your Airport Express via Ethernet. When did it stop working?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This morning.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok turn off cable modem and AE and unplug from power for a few minutes. Then turn back on and restart the computer. Let me know if there is any change.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am currently connected to the internet with an ethernet cable to the modem. You want me to go back and forth? And what is an AE?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Airport Express (AE), yes just bookmark this page to come back
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still no connection.
All I get is a blinking yellow light.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok reset the AE by holding the reset button in with a pin on the back for about 10 seconds untill you see the light flash. Then set it up again using the Airport Utility
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried everything twice and all I get is is the blinking yellow light. Do you think the router is shot?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What did you try twice it will continue to blink yellow until you set it up again?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I turned off power to the modem and AE for a few minutes and then restarted. That didn't work so I did the reset of the AE. I got a blinking green light for a couple of seconds and the a yellow light.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Right if you reset the AE you now have to set it up again with the Airport Utility.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That did it. Many thanks for a good job.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok great!!