Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Why does my MacBook trackpad act as if the clicker bar was

Customer Question
always pressed down?...
Why does my MacBook trackpad act as if the clicker bar was always pressed down?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Mac Tech, Apple Specialist replied 6 years ago
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

How old is your MacBook and what version OS X is it running?
My MacBook is 3 years old, running OS X 10.6.8. Sorry about my slow responses;there are times when this computer is unusable—I just have to turn it off and wait. Anything the cursor touches is instantly selected and either dragged or opened or both.
No worries.

Let's try these two procedures and see if we can get your Mac back!

#1

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

-Shut down the computer.

-Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.

-Turn on the computer.

-Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

-Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the 2nd time.

-Release the keys and let your system boot up.

#2

Reset the SMC of a MacBook or MacBook Pro’s with detachable batteries:

* Shutdown the MacBook/Pro and remove the battery
* Disconnect the power adapter, hold the Power Key for 10 seconds
* Release the power key and reconnect your battery and power adapter
* Turn your Mac on
* Let boot as usual

OR

Reset SMC of a MacBook or MacBook Pro’s with an internal battery:

* Shutdown your MacBook/Pro
* Connect the power adapter to your Mac
* On the MacBook/Pro’s keyboard, hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time
* Release all keys and the power button at the same time
* Boot your Mac as usual

Reply back if you're still not able to use your track pad properly.

It will take me a whileiW to follow your instructions.
Ok, reply back if you need more help with this.
I have done all procedures you suggested, and the problem is still the same. Maybe just a little better, because now I can type. Before, the last letter typed would get highlighted ad then deleted, and the cursor —no, now it's dong it again. No change.
Thank you for your reply-

Do you have any other devices plugged into your MacBook (USB, FireWire, external monitor)?
I plug in speakers or headphone, and a La Cie external hard drive. I have had to shut down the laptop for now because I couldn't move the cursor any more, or get any keyboard commands to work. I will leave the laptop shut down until tomorrow, when I'll look for your reply.
Try this last step before we declare hardware failure:

Unplug ALL external devices from your MacBook and repeat the procedures above.

If you're still having trouble, the keyboard/track pad assembly is defective. I know Apple has issued a silent recall on some of the MacBook for this reason. So, if your MacBook is out of warranty, I would press them for a replacement.

Reply back if you have any further questions. Thank you.
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
I am back on the laptop, have unplugged speakers, and that seems to have cured the trouble, at least for now. Thank you.
Fine business. And, I thank you.
Mac Tech
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist