Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I received a email regarding my Student Loan Application and

Customer Question
in the email it said...
I received a email regarding my Student Loan Application and in the email it said I needed to click on the link provided to view the documents but when I did I received this message "An Incompatible Browser Has Been Detected Your Web browser is not supported by our Web site. You must use a Compliant Web Browser - Standard* to view our site properly. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of your browser according to your Operating System." I am using a MacBook Pro Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 web browser is Safari and when I click on my Safari Tab and click About Safari it says I am using "Safari Version 5.1 (6534.50) Copyright © 2003–2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved." As far as I am aware that is the the latest version so why does this message come up? This is no the first time I have received this message regarding my web browser no being the current version.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
10/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Toby K., Mac Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
It is not a problem with your computer, the problem is with the website. The developers are basically saying that your browser is not supported so some things might not work properly. You could probably still use the site, but it's not recommended. You will probably have to open the application in Firefox or Chrome. I think you would have more success with Firefox.

I have websites at my school that say, "We've detected that your browser version is not supported by ****k. You can continue to use it; however some of the features might not work as expected." I get this error in Safari and Chrome, but not Firefox.

Try Firefox and see if you have anymore problems. www.mozilla.org/firefox/
How is that it says "Supported Apple Safari browsers:
Windows XP - Apple Safari 4.x and 5.x
Windows Vista - Apple Safari 4.x and 5.x
Windows 7 - Apple Safari 4.x and 5.x
Macintosh Operating System 10.6 - Apple Safari 5.x
Macintosh Operating System 10.5 - Apple Safari 4.x and 5.x " So shouldn't the browser " Macintosh Operating System 10.6 - Apple Safari 5.x" using be supported?
Macintosh Operating System 10.4 - Apple Safari 4.x

Instructions for upgrading Apple Safari browser:
Click this link to access http://www.apple.com/safari/download.
Click the "Download Safari" button.
We recommend you use your browser's default settings to safeguard your application information and ensure that the Web site works properly.
You are correct, but something in their code is triggering the error. You could always report it to them and say that you are computer meets the browser requirements, but I continue to get an error. I know my school is very receptive to this kind of feedback.

A good rule of thumb is to use another browser when you cannot do something on the current one. It doesn't mean that you switch browsers permanently.

You could also change the UserAgent to trick the website into thinking you are using a compatible browser. In Safari, do you have a Develop option on the menu bar? If so, select UserAgent, and try another browser.
I did try usingFirefix but I still received the error message" An Incompatible Browser Has Been Detected
Your Web browser is not supported by our Web site. You must use a Compliant Web Browser - Standard* to view our site properly. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of your browser according to your Operating System." Like I said this is not the first time I have received this kind of message it seems to happen quite a lot is there anything else that could be triggering or causing this kind of error message to occur/
You aren't doing anything wrong. The only thing you can do is what you did do, make sure you have a newer version and/or use another web browser.

When you say this happens alot? your school websites? I know some smaller banks, like credit unions can, but no major websites should.

Do you have another computer available? Like a Windows PC? I'm curious to see how it works from there.

I really would report this though.
No I do not have PC to see if it does the same thing or not and this is the first time happening on that website as this is the first time I needed to use it but since the information I am needing to review is very personal I want to make sure I am the only one seeing this and that my computer is not being hacked or something? when I say it happens a lot it happens when I use other links. I saw This is link in the error message and so I tried to access it that way but still received the same error message "If you encounter any problems retrieving your SAR with this link, go to
www.fafsa.gov, select "Start Here" to log in and you will be given the
option to view your Student Aid Report." And I don't know if this is important but this is at the very bottom of the error message when I use the Safari browser "[Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/534.50 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Safari/534.50 [BrowserDetectService:OS[MAC10_6] browser[SAFARI] browser version[UNKNOWN] AppName[FAFSA1112] detection status [BLOCKED]] And then when I use Firefox browser this appears at the bottom of the error message page "
[Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.[BrowserDetectService:OS[MAC10_6] browser[FIREFOX] browser version[UNKNOWN] AppName[FAFSA1112] detection status [BLOCKED]]" Does that tell you more or does that mean anything? Here is an actual copy of the error page on the Safari Browser... An Incompatible Browser Has Been Detected Your Web browser is not supported by our Web site. You must use a Compliant Web Browser - Standard* to view our site properly. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of your browser according to your Operating System.

Browser Requirements to Access this Site (Listed by Operating System).

Supported Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers:
Windows XP - Internet Explorer 6.0, 7.0, and 8.0
Windows Vista - Internet Explorer 7.0 and 8.0
Windows 7 - Internet Explorer 8.0

**Instructions for upgrading Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers:
Click this link to access Microsoft's Internet Explorer page.
Click the "Download" hyperlink.
Click the "Download" button on the bottom of the page, underneath the "Get Internet Explorer 7" heading.
Click the "Continue" button. Leave the "Change Language:" option as "English."
** Note that Microsoft does not keep older browser versions available to download from their Web site.

Supported Mozilla Firefox browsers:
Windows XP - Mozilla Firefox 3.5.x and 3.6.x
Windows Vista - Mozilla Firefox 3.5.x and 3.6.x
Windows 7 - Mozilla Firefox 3.5.x and 3.6.x
Macintosh Operating System 10.5 - Mozilla Firefox 3.5.x and 3.6.x
Macintosh Operating System 10.4 - Mozilla Firefox 3.6

Instructions for upgrading Mozilla Firefox browser:
Click this link to access http://www.mozilla.com/firefox.
Click the "Download Firefox" button.
Supported Apple Safari browsers:
Windows XP - Apple Safari 4.x and 5.x
Windows 7 - Apple Safari 4.x and 5.x
Macintosh Operating System 10.5 - Apple Safari 4.x and 5.x

Click the "Download Safari" button.
Supported Google Chrome browsers:
Windows XP - Google Chrome 6.0.x
Windows Vista - Google Chrome 6.0.x
Windows 7 - Google Chrome 8.0.x
Windows 7 - Google Chrome 7.0.x
Windows 7 - Google Chrome 6.0.x
Windows 7 - Google Chrome 5.0.x
Macintosh Operating System 10.5 - Google Chrome 6.0.x

Instructions for upgrading Google Chrome browser:
Click this link to access http://www.google.com/chrome.
Click the "Download Google Chrome" button.
Supported Opera browsers:
Windows 7 - Opera 10.x
Windows 7 - Opera 9.0.x
Macintosh Operating System 10.4 - Opera Mini

Instructions for upgrading Opera browser:
Click this link to access http://www.opera.com.
Click the "Download Opera" button.
Supported AOL browsers:
Windows Vista - AOL 9.0
Windows Vista - AOL 8.0

*Compliant Web Browser - Standard
For the past few years, every major Web browser released has been built around a set of open standards designated by the World Wide Web Consortium, a non-profit organization charged with overseeing the continuing development of the Web. What this means is that one piece of code now looks the same on every modern browser, whether it be Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or others. The majority of our users are using these modern browsers, so we can present content which is optimized for them.

[Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/534.50 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Safari/534.50]
[BrowserDetectService:OS[MAC10_6] browser[SAFARI] browser version[UNKNOWN] AppName[FAFSA1112] detection status [BLOCKED]]
I see what you mean. When you click "Start Here", you cannot get passed it. I've seen incompatible browser issues, but very rarely do they block you from continuing. Ok, let me try and figure a way around it.
Ok, after testing I found the following:

IE9: You get a box that say it's incompatible but you can complete the form.
Firefox (Windows): Does not work
Firefox (Mac): Does not work
Safari (Mac): Does not work
Chrome (both): Does not work.

I was able to get it to work if I changed the UserAgent in Safari to Internet Explorer 8 as shown below:

graphic
Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Toby K.
Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist