Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have no sound on youtube. sound on everything else..i.e.

Customer Question
itunes....
I have no sound on youtube. sound on everything else..i.e. itunes.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
9/19/2011
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 6 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid

I'd like to try and help you with this issue.

Do you have sound if you use Safari rather than Firefox?

Are you running OS X 10.4.11 on an Intel based Mac? If so, please download the latest version of Flash 10.3 from this website: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If you still have no sound in either browser after installing the Flash update, please visit this page:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

to access the Flash Global Settings Panel. Check the box labeled: "Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer" if it isn't checked already.

Let me know how it goes. If this works, please click ACCEPT so I can be paid for my time. If it does NOT work or if you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to reply back to this ticket and I'll be more than happy to assist you further.

Thanks,
i have no sound on either safari or firefox. How do I check to see if I have flashplayer installed? I'm not great at this.
That's okay, I can work through this with you.

You can check your version on this page:
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

There should be a small box on screen called "Version Information" if you have Flash installed.

If you don't have Flash 10.3 installed, you can get it from:
http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash

I am using a ppc o 10.4.11 not intel. I tried downloading and installing 10.3. note said can't. need intel. I downloaded 10.1 which is for the ppc.
It would not install also. I think I have flashplayer 9 installed...not sure. how do I check.
I did read from a mac user a few days ago that have to UNINSTALL flashplayer and re-install. I'm a little afraid to do that as I don't want to lose sound to my i tunes, my aol, and movies, etc.
Okay, yes if you have a PowerPC based Mac then you must use the slightly older version of Flash.

If you go to the following page, does it tell you what version is installed on your system?

OK I CHECKED. I'M SORRY TO BE SUCH A DUMMY ABOUT THIS.
IT SAYS I HAVE FLASH 9,0,124,0

THAT IS WHAT I HAVE. NOW, IF I HAVE IT, WHY DOESN'T IT WORK? THE GUY AT GENIUS BAR SAID I'M MISSING A PLUG-IN. OK. HOW DO I GET THAT. LOOKING AT THE ADOBE SITE IS CONFUSING. WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT\?
Don't worry about your knowledge level. In normal operation, this is not the type of stuff users should need to be concerned with...

You said you downloaded Flash 10.1 and tried to install it. What error did you receive? Why did it not complete?
sorry. I was trying to download version 10.1. it will not install says its for intel macs.
I'm totally lost here. I have the install version of flash 9. It installs everything until it gets to the final 4 items. then it just sits like its installing. i left it on to install last night during an entire football game. It just sat and said installing last 4 items. no luck
Okay, let's try uninstalling Flash.

Follow the directions for your version of OS X:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/909/cpsid_90906.html#main_10.4

Then we'll move on from here. Let me know how it goes!

ok. i downloaded the uninstall from the website. however, i have to shut my browser in order for it to work. how can i do that and keep you on firefox?
You should be able to come back to this thread and reply once the uninstall is complete:
http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/5kqkc-no-sound-youtube-sound-everything-else-i-e.html
I must step out for dinner. I will be back shortly.

Whether your uninstall completes successful or not, please do this as a next step before attempting to re-install Flash:

In the Finder, click on "Go" in the menubar and choose "Utilities"

Locate the "Disk Utility" app and open it

In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's Hard Drive.

On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, reboot your Mac.

At this point you can attempt to re-install Flash:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Good luck!
John T. F., Mac Druid
I have uninstalled flash.
sorry it was taking so long. I wrote back that it was and asked for someone else as I thought I had lost you. then i checked my e-mail and found that you had replied in an e-mail. i will do as you ask and try to re-install then send back to you. i hope you had a great dinner. i will let you know if this works. jd
No worries, I just had them "opt me back in". :-)

I'll be available off and on until about 2AM ET tonight.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks!
hey John...thanks for the reply. well....still no luck. I did go to the adobe site. They have archived flash for ppc (sans intell). However, I did download the recommended version
(which they say is for developers only) and installed it. I have sound back on yahoo, aol, news etc. plus video....but still no sound on youtube. any ideas. I thought a new install would fix the problem. ??????
Okay,

now that you have it re-installed, let's delete the old Preferences.

Go into your home folder > Library > Preferences

look for a folder called Macromedia and move it to the trash

Reboot and try Youtube again.
Good luck!
I now have sound on youtube. But, some of the videos on aol and yahoo are skipping. I may not have the exact browser, but for now it will do. I have made a copy of our session so I can go back anytime and review if there is a problem. Thanks for your help tonight. At least I can use youtube. I appreciate your efforts and please know that I'm not much of a computer expert...so this was a good learning session. Jackie davidson
Awesome!Glad to hear of some success, Jackie.

If you need anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact me directly via the following link:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

You may find video performance on sites you visit frequently will improve just a bit over the next day or so as Flash re-stores configuration data in the Macromedia folder.

Thanks,
John T. F., Mac Druid
John T. F., Mac Druid