Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

how come when I plug a flash drive into my MacBook nothing

happens-on my screen. there is...
how come when i plug a flash drive into my macbook nothing happens-on my screen. there is a light on the drive
9/3/2011
Mike, Mac Medic
Select the first icon in the Dock the Finder then go to the top left of the screen to Finder / Preferences / select the General tab and check all the boxes under Show these items on the Desktop.
ok- i did that and nothing happened. the box for external drive was already checked -should i have the drive plugged in as i do this?
No but I thought it was already plugged in?
ok- it is plugged in and all of the boxes are checked- now what?
Ok go to Applications / Utilities open Disk Utility do you see the flash drive on the left?
generic flashdrive?
Select it on the left and then on the right at the bottom what does it say next to Format?
after i selected that a window come up- it does not say format anywhere. it says repair at the top .
I am not sure what you are looking at the only Repair would be at the bottom??? see picture drive is selected and Format is at the bottom:

graphic
the window looks like that- but does not say format
Ok do you only need to use this on a Mac?
i use mac primarily -i can't use it on that? i do have pc
I meant do you want to use it on both or only the Mac?
no just the mac
Ok in Disk Utility select the drive and go to Erase tab choose Format / Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click on Erase you should then see it on the Desktop.
Did that work?
I did it- but there is nothing on the desktop.
Are you sure all the boxes are checked in Finder Preferences? Open any folder and on the left under Devices do you see it? You named it when you formatted so I don't know the name.
Mike, Mac Medic
I didn't intend on accepting that- I still havn't got it yet?
Ok so what about my question?
I don't know where finder preferences is.
We already did this once remember???

yes we did mike- and they are al still checked
Ok then I need you to take a picture of your desktop with no windows open (you only have one monitor right?) and also open Disk Utility select the device on the left and take another picture:

To take a sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder.

Or to take a selective sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and the number 4, you will see a little crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go, and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder. Let me know when sent.

Then go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
No thanks- it has to be easier than this.
Well I'm sorry but you must be missing something there is no way you have refomatted the drive, it shows up in Disk Utility, and all those boxes are checked that it would not show up on the desktop.... I don't know what else to do. Do you see the little menu at the top of this window? You can attach the pictue right here by clicking on the paper clip. It is up to you, but I have spent to much time to give up now.

graphic
I am looking at a window that says DISC UTILITY
Erase
mac osx extended journaled
I thought your already did that on the USB drive?
You have to to remember _ am not a geek- where do I go from here?
So you never reformatted the stick earlier?
I don't know what I did- I checked off all of the boxes- why can't we just go from here?
No I mean in Disk Utility: From previous post:

Mike, Mac Medic
Thanks for your help - this is way too complicated.
Thank you but if you can’t do a simple thing like reformat the drive with Disk Utility then I don't know how you are going to use the drive. Do you have a younger person around who could help, I hate to leave it like this?
"can't do a simple thing like------?" -I was following YOUR instructions to a T yesterday- & we got stuck
I don't understand... if you followed them to a tee then did you or did you not reformat the drive? I did not mean that with any disrespect I just don't like giving up.
ok- lets go back to very begining- never mind what i did or did not do.
Ok here are pictures with a USB stick in the computer, Disk Utility is in Applications/Utilitites, select the drive on the left choose the erase tab choose the format just like in the picture, name it something and click on Erase:

Mike, Mac Medic