Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

While updated IPhone the process was terminated with an unknown

While updated IPhone the process was terminated with an unknown error (after backup). Now ITunes says it detects a phone in recovery mode and I need to restore first. We have had this same issue with IPad and have never been able to load it again. I think there is an issue with the computer security, but don't know how to get around it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I am Pete, and I'm happy to answer your question today.

If you have backed up your phone before trying to update it, then all the data currently stored on your phone will be re-synced to it after the restore.

If you didn't back it up first, and the data is very important, there are companies who will try to take the data off for you, however they do charge a lot for this service (hundreds of dollars).

Unfortunately there is no other way to resolve the "unknown error" issue after a failed upgrade without restoring your device.