Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Im looking to unlock my Iphone but I use windows on my computer.

Customer Question
I'm looking to unlock my...
I'm looking to unlock my Iphone but I use windows on my computer. What is the best and safest way to unlock? Also, is it true that your iphone relocks if you let the phone battery die?

thanks,

Nancy
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Mac Genius replied 6 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

#1 - What iPhone do you have? (2G / 3G / 3GS / 4)?

#2 - What firmware do you have (Settings -> General -> About -> Version)?

#3 - What modem baseband do you have (Settings -> General -> About -> Modem)?

Hello Mr. Clark!

3g AT&T Modem firmware 05.15.04

Thanks,

N
Okay just to verify, are you trying to "unlock" your iPhone for use of a different carrier?

If so, what carrier (T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, H2O Wireless, etc.) are you trying to use your iPhone for?
I'm planning to switch to t-mobile prepaid monthly.
Okay, as a disclaimer, if you do this, there is a 90% chance that you will not be able to restore your iPhone 3G after this process.

First, you will need to download a few tools.

You will need the following:

Redsn0w 0.9.6B5 for Windows : http://www.mediafire.com/?alfckxbgkf6awvz

If you need an unzip program, WinRAR : http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

iPhone 3G 4.2.1 Original Firmware : http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-9853.20101122.Vfgt5/iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

iPad 3.2.2 Baseband Firmware : http://appldnld.apple.com/iPad/061-8801.20100811.CvfR5/iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore.ipsw

Once you have downloaded each of these, put them all in one directory (extract the Redsn0w contents to the same folder as the firmware).

Now, connect your 3G to your computer via the USB cable. Wait for iTunes to open (if it doesn't, go to the next step). Cancel any sync that starts and close iTunes.

Now put your iPhone 3G into DFU Mode.

First, remove your SIM card. Then, with your iPhone is plugged in to your PC, hold the Home and Power until your iPhone powers down, continue holding Home and Power for a full 4 seconds.

If you are having trouble with this, please refer to the video below for assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpinyGlQ8I

Release the Power while still holding the Home key until iTunes tells you the iPhone is in recovery (your iPhone screen will be black, but it is on).

From here, hold the LEFT shift key down and click Restore in iTunes.

Go to the folder with the items you downloaded and select the original 4.2.1 firmware file (iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw).

Agree to the restore. Allow this process to complete. When it does complete, your iPhone should reboot (leave it plugged into your computer and leave iTunes open).

You should get a message on iTunes asking you to setup a new iPhone or restore from backup. Ignore this.

Now, put your iPhone back in DFU mode.

with your iPhone is plugged in to your PC, hold the Home and Power until your iPhone powers down, continue holding Home and Power for a full 4 seconds.

Do not press "OK" on the recovery mode message in iTunes.

graphic

Go to the folder where redsn0w, right click on redsn0w.exe and select Run As Administrator and open redsn0w.

graphic

At the select IPSW screen, go to Browse and then go to the folder you downloaded everything into and select the original 4.2.1 firmware file (iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw). You should get a message that the IPSW was verified. Click Next.

graphic

You will get a loading screen for a moment then you get an options screen.

graphic

Select "Install Cydia" and make sure that "Deactivate" is unchecked (if you have an AT&T SIM card, leave this checked, it's better to activate with an AT&T SIM card than to hackivate).

From there, press Next.

graphic

Press Next again.

Since your iPhone is already in DFU, it should just go straight into the jailbreak.

graphic

The jailbreak will start.

graphic

graphic

Once it is complete, your iPhone will reboot.

After the reboot, insert your AT&T SIM card, connect your iPhone to iTunes, and select Setup a new iPhone.

After you finish that process, put your iPhone back in DFU mode.

Find redsn0w.exe again, right click and select Run As Administrator and open it.

graphic

graphic

***THIS IS THE POINT OF NOT BEING ABLE TO RESTORE YOUR IPHONE.***
graphic

Select only the checkbox with Install iPad Baseband (do not check any other boxes)!!!

Click Next.
graphic

Press Next again.

graphic

The jailbreak will start.

graphic

graphic

From there, go to Settings -> WiFi -> and connect to a WiFi connection.

Open Safari and browse to at least two websites on WiFi (verify you can browse).

From there, open Cydia. Allow it to load (may take up to 10 minutes). DO NOT LET THE SCREEN GO OFF! KEEP "TOUCHING" THE SCREEN TO KEEP IT ON WHEN IT DIMS!!! When you get the prompt, select Developer. Allow it to load again (be patient). You will get a prompt for Update Essential packages. Select Update All. Allow this to complete and then your iPhone will reboot.

Upon reboot open Cydia again. Allow it to completely load (if it prompts you for update, install them, allow the device to reboot, and then come back here).

Now go to Manage at the bottom of the screen. Go to Sources.

Select Add, then type in http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com and then Add Source.

Cydia will add the repo and may reboot. If it does, reboot and then open Cydia again.

Now, in Cydia, go to Search type in ultrasn0w and Search.

Install ultrasn0w. Your iPhone should reboot after the install.

After the reboot of your iPhone, insert your foreign SIM card (i.e. T-Mobile) into the iPhone. Allow it to detect your card. (This may take up to 15 minutes). When you get at least 2 or more bars and the word T-Mobile (or whatever carrier you have), then make a test call (611 on T-Mobile is a good test).

If you want MMS/Data to work, while on WiFi, open Safari on your iPhone, and go to http://unlockit.co.nz, select Custom APN, and install the appropirate APN for your carrier.

If YouTube or Push notifications are not working, you will need to go to Cydia (on WiFi) and then go to Manage -> Sources -> Add

Type in http://apt.iphonemodding.com and then Add Source.

Your iPhone may reboot. Upon reboot, open Cydia, go to Search, type in Push Fix and Search. Install Push Fix.

Your iPhone will reboot.

Upon reboot, you will need to go to Cydia (your WiFi will be not working properly, so no need to wait for things to load), then Manage -> Packages -> Push Fix -> Edit/Manage -> Uninstall/Remove.

Your iPhone will reboot.

From here, you will need to reconnect to your WiFi, and YouTube/Push notifications should be working.

From here, you should be good to go.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'not be able to restore' my phone?
Once you install the iPad Baseband, if you iPhone gets to a point where you have to do a "Restore" (back to factory), you may not be able to (if you try, iTunes will error out and your iPhone will be stuck in a "Recovery Mode" loop).

There is a way to restore from that, but it is as drawn out as the steps above.

Of course, I can assist you with that if you get in that scenario.
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius
It looks like, with this approach, that I have to have an active Tmobile sim ready to go... Tmobile said that to keep my current phone number I should unlock but keep using att until they get the account to transfer over. I just want to make sure I don't loose my number or contacts and all.

Hope you can clear up my confusion ~ Thanks!
Also, do you think the process you have offered to me is a better option than using the software at http://iphone-unlocker-pro.com.

Thank you for all your time!
That site is a scam. You will either spend your money and never receive anything or you will get the same programs I have given you links to above.

No problem. Have a great night and good luck!
Thanks!
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius