Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My macbook has an ugly drawing of a face that overlays every

Customer Question
screen. I can't find...
My macbook has an ugly drawing of a face that overlays every screen. I can't find any programs call MacDefender, MacProtector or MacGuard, so I don't know how to get rid of this. Can you help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
8/21/2011
Mac Support Specialist: OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer replied 6 years ago
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Are you available?

Customer:

Hello

OSXpert :

yes

OSXpert :

So, there's an ugly face on your Mac that will not go away? Is this only during boot time or is it actually there when using your Mac (web browsing, email, etc...)?

Customer:

It's there all the time. Right now my screen to you is overlaying the face, but eh drawing is still there.

Customer:

The lines run up over the toolbars, menu bars, and lower screen where application icons are...

OSXpert :

hmm, let's take a picture of the screen so I can see what you see...

Customer:

OK. This is actually my Mom's computer. Can you walk me through it?

OSXpert :

press command+shift+3 simultaneously, then release the keys

OSXpert :

there should be an image on your desktop that you can post into this chat session

Customer:

ok done

OSXpert :

post it to this chat session, there should be a paper clip icon that you can click to upload the picture

Customer:

Full Size Image
Did you get it?

Customer:

file://localhost/Users/MacBook/Desktop/Screen%20shot%202011-08-21%20at%2010.26.40%20AM.png

OSXpert :

it's not actually uploading...go to this website, upload the image. It will give you a website (URL) that can be used to download the image, post the URL here so I can grab .

http://wikisend.com/

Customer:

Done

OSXpert :

it should have given you a web address after uploading the image, copy and paste it here...

Customer:

http://wikisend.com/download/330148/Screen shot 2011-08-21 at 10.26.40 AM.png

OSXpert :

one second -- trying to view the image

Customer:

Should I send again?

OSXpert :

I see, it looks like it's just changed your desktop, correct?

Customer:

Yes

OSXpert :

nope, sorry for the delay, had some issues downloading it..

Customer:

I've tried to put a new picture on display, but face still overlays it.

OSXpert :

Okay, and have you already run the Mac Defender removal tool?

Customer:

I didn't run a tool. I looked for MacDefender in various places on computer. Maybe I misunderstood.

OSXpert :

which version of Mac OS X do you have?

OSXpert :

click the apple logo (top left) and select about this mac

Customer:

Max OS X

OSXpert :

yes, I need the specific version ex. 10.6.4...

Customer:

10.6.8

OSXpert :

okay, you probably don't have any issues with Mac Defender then...before we go further, have you looked in your Applications folder for any traces of Mac Defender

Customer:

yes - Can't identify anything there.

OSXpert :

okay good...

OSXpert :

have you installed any software recently?

Customer:

Looks like she might have installed a few things in July. Can I tell by file date?

OSXpert :

not really, it's difficult to tell by date alone on a Unix system. Have you spoken with her about installed software? This is very important, it might be the only way to remove the wall paper

Customer:

I will ask. Hang on a second.

Customer:

No new software. I installed notes for her (word like product) a couple months ago.

Customer:

I mean "pages"

OSXpert :

okay -- there is an icon on the dock with a smiley face (between powerpoint and pages), what is it?

Customer:

That's a third party electronic card service that you can personalize with own pictures. It's call Smilebox. I've used it for years on my Mac with no trouble. But, should I remove it?

OSXpert :

I'm not sure, but I'm starting to wonder. Would you mind removing it to see? It might be causing the problem. You should be able to re-install it afterward if you want it back

Customer:

ok

OSXpert :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know how to remove applications on a mac (drap the application from the Applications folder to the trash...)

Customer:

OK I put it in the trash. I'll check applications to see if still there. Ok. Put the app in the trash as well.

Customer:

Face still there. Do I need to reboot

OSXpert :

not yet

OSXpert :

click System Preferences->Desktop & Screen Saver

OSXpert :

then select a new background

Customer:

Screensaver, not background? I did that and face is still there.

Customer:

I got it. It was in the "desktop". j

OSXpert :

exactly

OSXpert :

did it get rid of the face?

Customer:

Yes - We are good to go here. Keep the $48 and thanks for your help. Any last tip?

OSXpert :

Sounds good thank you, XXXXX XXXXX all set? If so and you're happy with the information I have given you, can you please click "Accept"? If you're not satisfied, we can continue troubleshooting until you're satisfied

Customer:

OSXpert - Please let me know how much you will charge and if we are done here. Thanks.

Customer:

OK thanks. Bye

OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
OSXpert
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer