OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I use Lacie as my hard disk for my MacBook Pro. Well actually

Customer Question

I use "Lacie" as my hard disk for my MacBook Pro. Well actually I only use it to back up my TV show and movies on iTunes. The problem is that it's time consuming, so what do you think I should do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer:

Yes

OSXpert :

good deal -- I'm not totally about your issue. Can you pleas explain your question in more detail?

Customer:

I use a hard disk (Lacie) to back up my TV shows and movies on iTunes, but since I have a lot of TV shows I now have 3 hard drives so it's not really good if I want to watch anything again because I have to go through all three. So, do you think I should use another brand? I also know about iCloud, which I think is coming out this fall, so do you think I should wait for it and what do you suggest?

OSXpert :

Are you still available?

Customer:

yes

OSXpert :

What size (e.g. 250GB, 500GB, 1TB, etc...) are the hard drives you're using? Given the inexpensive nature of hard drives these days, you may want to consider buying a single large (2-3TB) drive that you can use to consolidate the other 3 into, does that make sense?

Customer:

The three of them are 500 GB

OSXpert :

There are other options as well. We're not totally clear on the details of iCloud yet, but I don't think it's going to be a good location for storing large amounts of video data. iCloud will likely be much better at storing music, documents, etc...

OSXpert :

do you mean 3x 500GB for a total of 1500GB (1.5TB)? Or all 3 added together are 500GB?

Customer:

500 Gb each. So a total of 1500 GB

OSXpert :

I see -- well, if you're looking to use a single drive, you may want to consider using RAID to combine multiple drives together. This way, Mac OS X will essentially seeXXXXXinstead of all 3. However, I will warn you that RAID is fairly complicated and, if not managed correctly, may cause you more problems down the road. Honestly, I think the easiest solution for you to manage is to upgrade to a single, large drive. Western Digital makes a great 2TB green drive that's running for about $70 right now

OSXpert :

3TB will run you around $160

Customer:

Okay, thank you

OSXpert :

sure thing. You may also want to consider getting a NAS (network attached storage) that you can use as a mass storage area that you can access over your network from your Mac