Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Help I moved a file to my mac desk top and it dissapeared!!!

Customer Question
I really need this file...Mike...
Help I moved a file to my mac desk top and it dissapeared!!! I really need this file...Mike
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
8/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 6 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Where did you move it from?
I move it from my my hard drive to the desk top..
I meant where on your hard drive? The desktop is the hard drive also??? Can you clarify?
This file was in my hard drive, in the applications folder, I selected it and I moved it to my desktop and it asked for a password XXXXX a I entered password XXXXX I moved it to my desktop and it dissapeared..
Never move applications out of the Applications folder. What app was it?
It was a program called printsmith...A program for printers, can't find a backup!
Have you done a search for the word printsmith? You should be able to redownload it here:

http://download.cnet.com/PrintSmith/3000-2066_4-3603.html
all of the customer info is on this computer...
That is OK you won‘t lose that. Did you do a search?
yes
Just reinstall then.
I don't have the original disks, I took over a printshop, and he doesn't have the disks
I gave you the link.
but where will i get all of my data?
The data is not stored in the app itself. Have you looked in the trash for the app?
yes, there is nothing in trash, do you think if I rebooted it would show back up?
I doubt it but you should restart anyway. Have you used Spotlight to search? It has to be there somewhere.
all the files on the desk top will dissapear when I try to move them...any ideas
What? i did not ask you to move anything.
these were files, no needed any more.
I don't understand what you are trying to say can you clarify?
You said that you didn't tell me to move anything, and I said that these files weren't important. I did do a search again, but din't find anything...
But what do these files have to do with the problem at hand?
none, just saying they dissapear also when moved on the desktop.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
This didnt work, restarted and it isn't there!
I did not say that would magically make it appear.

So Verify Disk was OK in green and then you Repaired Permissions?
If that was ok go to Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferecnes trash the file com.apple.finder.plist and restart
Mike, Mac Medic
I bought a program online called Data Recover 3 and was able to find the file and restore it.
OK but are files still disappearing if so you still have a problem.
Mike, Mac Medic