Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have lost wifi connection. A padlock icon has appeared beside

Customer Question
I have lost wifi connection...
I have lost wifi connection. A padlock icon has appeared beside my network name (BTHub3-2FWZ) in the settings and this seems to be blocking all attempts to reconnect.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/26/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast replied 6 years ago
Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Are you trying to connect from your Mac computer?

Are you trying to connect from your Mac computer? Please click "Reply to your expert" to let me know.

apple i pad 2
OK, I have an iPad 2 also. Please follow the steps below:

1- Tap Settings

2- Tap WiFi

3- Tap the name of your wireless network (tap the name. Do NOT tap the right blue arrow, just tap the name of your network)

4- If prompted, enter your wireless network password.

5- Then click the main button of the iPad to go to your main screen, then open Safari and go to any website.

6- Does it work? Please click "Reply to your expert" to let me know.

7- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
No I have already tried this several times with no success. I get the answer "cannot open page because not connected to internet"
OK. Do you get prompted to enter a wireless network password?
yes
OK, please follow the steps below:

1- Tap Settings

2- Tap WiFi

3- Do you see a "check mark" before or next your wireless network name?
In settings I get Wi Fi Open Zone with a "sound wave" icon on the left. Under WiFi Networks on the right of screen it lists BTFON BTHub-2FWZ (with padlock icon) BT Open Zone (with a tick on its left) then "other". Have you seen the padlock icon before? What does it mean?
The padlock icon means that network needs a password XXXXX order to connect to it. What's the name of your wireless network? BT Open Zone OR BTFON BTHub-2FWZ OR any other ?
My network is BTHub-2FWZ . I have my original password XXXXX no longer seems to work.
OK. Do you have a Windows 7 computer or a Mac computer that can actually connect to the wireless network without problems?
I am using a Windows 7 computer just now and it connects to the wireless network without problems.
OK, please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows 7 connected to internet via wireless and you will see the network key:

1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- NOW, make sure you select "View by: LARGE ICONS" on the upper right corner.

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Manage Wireless Networks" on the left

6- Double click your wireless network name

7- Click the "Security" tab

8- Click "Show characters"

9- Now find your password XXXXX to "Network security key". Then try to connect to your
BTHub-2FWZ network and enter this password XXXXX prompted. Remember also that the password XXXXX XXXXX sensitive.

10- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
The padlock icon has returned and I cannot remove it as before. I tap the setting but the prompt does not appear. I can get the prompt after using "forget this network" but my password does not work or the one for the wireless connection which you helped me get. How do I get rid of this padlock?
The padlock icon is OK, that means your connection is secure and needs a password. Please make sure to connect to your network BTHub-2FWZ
I have tried to connect to my network BTHub3-2FWZ and failed as described. Why did the icon return?
It should be there always, maybe you connected to a "open" wireless connection from a neighbor without a padlock. What's your router brand and model? Thank you

John Cappucci

The router is a BT Home hub. The model is BTHub3-2FWZ. I hope that is what you wanted as I am not sure. Other information in the model guide says

Authentication type: WPA2-PSK or WPA-PSK

Encryptioin type: AES(WPA2) or TKIP(WPA)

Mode: infrastructure (not ad hoc)

Thank you for picking up the problem again.

No problem at all. Do you have the issue only from your iPad? Are your wireless computers connecting fine to the wireless internet?
Yes to both questions
What Windows or Mac versions do you have on all your wireless computers?
I have one Acer computer with Windows 7

1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

7- Click the "Security" tab

8- Click "Show characters"

9- Now find your password next to "Network security key". Then use this password when you try to connect from your iPad. (please remember the password is case sensitive).

10- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

11- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
It worked, but I do not understand why, as I tried several times earlier using the wireless key and it did not work. Also why did it fail at all and for so long?
It seems the iPad is trying to connect to another wireless network. When you have issues, please make sure it is always connected to your network BTHub3-2FWZ going to Settings, Wi-Fi
Thank you. Sorry to have troubled you again. As you had ultimately to give the same answer to the same problem is it acceptable to you to cover everything with the one fee.? I do appreciate that I have caused you a lot in extra time and effort.
Yes, no problem at all. Have a great weekend!!! Please add my site www.GoJohn.info to your favorites so you can contact me directly when you have a new question. Thank you