Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a Mac Book that I want to play a business webinar on…

I have a Mac...
I have a Mac Book that I want to play a business webinar on my flat screen (web site address that ends in .wmv). It does play when connected to my big TV thru HDMI cabling .....but have 3 issues to correct if I can- to be perfect.......1-the sound only comes from the laptop..not the big nice sound of the TV 2- it shows exactly what my laptop screen is.....with the desktop icons at the bottom and the gray window border at the top(takes the very top of picture off of the webinar (is there a way to get just the content of webinar to play with out the laptop screen with out those showing and lastly........the laptop pic goes to black after every few minutes on both the laptop and the TV...the picture comes back up if you keep pushing the Apple remote but that is awkward when showing to people. Thanks much ......LARRY
Answered in 3 days by:
7/5/2011
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!

iteachmac :

Welcome ,I will give a full and clear answer to your question, please make sure to reply to any questions I have. They may be essential to my reply.

iteachmac :

What model of mac book do you have?

iteachmac :

Answer to one of your questions is .

iteachmac :

Please go to the apple menu , system preferences , energy saver and change the settings for Display sleep to never during your presentation . .

iteachmac :

This should stop the screen from going off every time the display goes to sleep .

iteachmac :

Answer to another of your questions is :

iteachmac :

Go to apple menu , system preferences , display control panel .

iteachmac :

You will now see the displays control panel .

iteachmac :

Uncheck mirror displays .

iteachmac :

now each display will view independently .

iteachmac :

you can arrange the displays logically side by side left and right etc using the arrange tab . .

iteachmac :

pressing gather windows will move displays controls on to the system display .

iteachmac :

you can drag your video or web browser window off on to the screen of your choice from the desktop as you would move an application window in use.

iteachmac :

Doing this you wont see the apple menu bar on the TV , or the dock .

Customer:

sounds good.thanks.........thats two out of three........now how to I get the sound to be big and rich on the TV and not the small laptop sound in the room?

iteachmac :

ok do you have a HDMI lead connected via the Mini DisplayPort of the mac .

Customer:

the grey border on the top of the WMV file I'm playing.......can i get rid of that ?

iteachmac :

if so we can hopefully switch the audio to use the HDMI out .

iteachmac :

not sure about the border , is the border on the VIDEO . ?

iteachmac :

lets deal with the sound first .

Customer:

yes its like attached to the webinar video

Customer:

ok

iteachmac :

Go to apple menu , system preferences , sound control panel . Output tab .

iteachmac :

You will notice the audio out is set to built in perhaps .

Customer:

I am using the Apple branded white cables I bought.....HDMI....on TV..........and ytwo plud ins to the MAC laptop

iteachmac :

try changing the audio output to the other options there in turn .

Customer:

brb

iteachmac :

k

Customer:

yes it says built in for output

Customer:

thats the only option it looks like...........will that change when i have it hooked up

iteachmac :

info for Macs that support audio over HDMI .

iteachmac :

yes it needs to be hooked up .

iteachmac :

if the option does not come on line then please review the link I just sent .

Customer:

if i then have another option for out put........maybe that will do it you think?

Customer:

ok..........

Customer:

i think you got them all

iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!