Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I just updated my computer to Mac OS X v. 10.6.8. My Microsoft

Customer Question
I just updated my computer...
I just updated my computer to Mac OS X v. 10.6.8. My Microsoft Word (Office 2008) will not open. Do I need to get a new version of Microsoft Word, or Microsoft Office? My computer is a Mac Mini, purchased in April 2009.

Thanks for your help. If you need more info, let me know.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
7/2/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Mac Tech, Apple Specialist replied 6 years ago
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

What version MS Office are you running on your Mini (in Word click on Word and select "About Word")?
It's the version that came in Microsoft Office 2008. It says Microsoft Word [1105] I can't open it: The message I get if I try is "Microsoft word cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure Microsoft works with this version of Mac OS X.
Can you open Excel or Powerpoint? If you can, click on Help on the top Menu Bar and select "Check for Updates".

Reply back with your progress.
Yes--Both Excel and Powerpoint opened normally. Sorry I took so long. Word is still messed up. I had made a copy of a Word alias. I don't know why I did that. Word isn't in the Microsoft Office folder. Maybe I need to buy a new copy of Word. I have a copy of a Microsoft Word alias on my desktop, but it doesn't work.

Are you still working on the problem?
You should not have to purchase a newer version. I am running the same on my Mac at the moment (OS X 10.6.8 and MS Office 2008).

The issue is with Word, as you have mentioned. Look over this article and follow the steps to remove any duplicates: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2431353 If this does not work there are instructions near the bottom to remove and reinstall MS Office 2008. (Make sure you have your Product Key handy as you will need it for the reinstall)

After the reinstall run check for updates in SS Office 2008, there's a large update that will most likely need to be reinstalled.
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Thanks, Rick--

I can't believe it, but I found the case for Word 2004, and it has the product key on the back. A miracle!

Thanks so much for your help. I've had problem with Word before, but not for a long time. I guess when I updated the computer to 10.6.8, it did something to the Word file. I hope when I reinstall it, it will be OK.

Have a good 4th of July!

Gail

You may want to stick with Office 2008. I'm not certain Word 2004 will work. In fact, if you don't have Office 2008 then you may wish to purchase Office 2011.

Thank you very much and Happy 4th of July to you as well!

Thanks! Sometimes I wish we could just go back to typewriters (I'm old)! Maybe I should get Office 2011.

Fine business. Thank you again!
Mac Tech
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist