Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hello, I am traveling, using private wifi hotspot. Entourage

Customer Question
2008 worked normally for several...
Hello, I am traveling, using private wifi hotspot. Entourage 2008 worked normally for several weeks then suddenly one day I'm getting "An Unknown Error has occurred in Entourage 2008. Error Number -8738" when I first open Entourage. Any ideas?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
7/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 6 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Hold down Option and start Entourage this will open the Microsoft Database Utility, Rebuild the Database.
Thank you for getting back so quickly! I was prompted to rebuild the database, as you said it would. Now it is asking which database I should rebuild; is it ok to assume "Main Identity" is the correct one?
Yes
Still need help?
Any luck?
I'm sorry to have kept you in the lurch on this, Mike. We rebuilt the database, but are still getting the same error -8738.

For what it's worth, I've tried connecting via wireless and non-wireless, with the same result.

Any ideas?
Click on any blank spot on the desktop, then hold Command (the key just to the left of the Spacebar) and Shift keys and hit the letter U, this will open the Utilities folder inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Thank you, Mike. Verify Disk was successful (about three minutes?) and checked out OK -- did not have to repair disk. I clicked Verify Permissions after that, and it found hundreds of differences, such as
  • user differs (private/var/...)
  • permissions differ
  • group differs (should be -rw, etc..)

Went ahead and Repaired Permissions; it took just a minute or so and finished successfully. When I open Entourage, I get the same unknown error.
What are you server settings for your email in Entourage?
I'm sorry to keep you waiting on this. The person who I was helping took the computer to a service house, who told him the only solution they know is to reinstall Mac OS X.

Which he did. Very nice.

I like JustAnswer very much, though, and will definitely be back the next time a Mac question comes my way!
ok
Mike, Mac Medic