Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am running windows 7 thru parallels 6 on a new imac . I have

Customer Question
some trading software that is...
I am running windows 7 thru parallels 6 on a new imac . I have some trading software that is windows based and have been trying for 2 weeks to try and get it to run on the windows part of my computer .The problem appears to be the shared section of parallels 6 . I have unchecked all the shared sections in the configuration section on windows 7 but when i download and load the trading software (ninjatrader 7 ) it continues to run thru a psf folder (parallels share folder) when i check the trace file of ninjatrader after I have tried to run it . The techs from both software providers havn't been able to help me but say it should work . Can anyone tell me how to load it on the windows only side of windows so that it won't be shared with mac . Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
6/29/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 6 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Why don’t you just drag the installer to the desktop of the Virtual Machine to copy it over you don’t have to share any folders?
I don't quite understand what you mean . The software is a download from the trading company and once it download it goes thru the process of loading and my only input is to choose a folder to place it . It downloads on windows 7 .
Then I don’t understand either if you are downloading it on the windows side what does the Mac side have to do with it?
The windows virtual machine runs thru parallels 6 so that I can use windows on the mac . I have put firefox on the mac and the windows sides to try and help any download conflicts between the two but that doesn't seem to be a problem . So what I am saying is when I download the software from ninjatrader it downloads via windows but I cant get it to load in a folder that won't share thru parallels .
Change your download folder in Firefox?
Change it to what ?
Aren’t you saying the folder you download it to is a Shared folder and you don't want that right? I am having trouble understanding the problem? Change the download folder to the desktop and then try to install it.
I have shifted firefox to a different folder (supposedly not shared) so Iwill try download and install and get back to you .
Ok
Still won't work . I downloaded thru Int explorer and dragged the setup exe to the desktop and was allowed to download to the desktop but when I try to open the software I get the usual faults list . When I check the trace file it still says it is running thru a share folder . Don't know which folder to try and put it in that won't finish in the shared folders .
I have never seen that problem. I will opt out.
Okay thanks anyway
I see no one has helped you... do you have that problem with any other installers or is it just that one?
Sorry Mike I have been out all day . This program (ninjatrader) is the only software that won't work with this setup . I just don't seem to be able to install it in windows where upon me starting up the software it somehow makes its own path thru the shared folders even though they are switched off . I am also in correspondance with parallel tech advice but they have so far been unable to solve this problem also . From all the tech's ive spoken to it appears that if i can install this somewhere in the windows side that will not use a shared folder it should work . I look forward to any assistance you can offer .
I would not ask parrallels I would ask the ninjatrader people since it is ONLY their software that is the problem.
Yes but they have told me why it won't as far as they can see but are not familiar with how parallels functions .
I just installed it fine on my Parallels / Windows 7 so I am guessing there is something wrong with your windows installation have you run Windows update, recently?
I will run an update now . Did you mean that you downloaded and installed ninjatrader7 on your setup ?
yes
Can you open the trace file of ninjatrader and tell me what the third and fourth lines say . The install dir and the user data dir .
C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\
What about the user data dir
Not sure what you mean I am a Mac Expert how do I do that?
Find ninja in the documents library , open it then scroll down to the trace folder, open that folder and you get a box full of tech data with heading session start version 7.0.1000.6 . On the 3rd and 4th lines are the install dir and the userdata dir . We are in the same install dir but what is the user datd dir you are in ?
2011-07-01 14:47:39:226 ******************* Session Start (Version 7.0.1000.6) *******************
2011-07-01 14:47:39:242 Attaching global exception handlers...
2011-07-01 14:47:39:257 Creating directory 'C:\Users\admin\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\db\cache'...
2011-07-01 14:47:39:914 InstallDir='C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\'
2011-07-01 14:47:39:914 UserDataDir='C:\Users\admin\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\'
2011-07-01 14:47:43:117 Cbi.Globals.MachineId: True/True
2011-07-01 14:47:43:117 MachineId='65A2DE649438CF5A0B759683704D66D7'
2011-07-01 14:47:43:148 OS='Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600 Service Pack 1'/'Win32NT'
2011-07-01 14:47:43:320 Processors: available=1 enabled=1
2011-07-01 14:47:43:320 .NET/CLR Version='2.0.50727.5446'/64bit
2011-07-01 14:47:43:320 Processor='Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5462 @ 2.80GHz'
2011-07-01 14:47:43:320 PhysicalMemory=1024 MB
2011-07-01 14:47:43:320 Timezone=EST -1 hour(s)
2011-07-01 14:47:43:320 OptimizedCpuPerformance=True
2011-07-01 14:47:43:648 Chart Hot Keys: Andrew's Pitchfork=Ctrl+F8 Arc=Ctrl+F7 Arrow Down=Alt+F3 Arrow Line=Ctrl+F2 Arrow Up=Alt+F2 Bar Spacing -=Ctrl+Up Bar Spacing +=Ctrl+Down Bar Width -=Alt+Up Bar Width +=Alt+Down Cross Hair=Ctrl+Q Data Series...=Ctrl+F Diamond=Alt+F5 Dot=Alt+F6 Ellipse=Ctrl+F11 Email Image...=Ctrl+M Extended Line=F4 Fibonacci Circle=F11 Fibonacci Extension=F9 Fibonacci Retracement=F8 Fibonacci Time Extension=F10 Gann Fan=Ctrl+F9 Global Cross Hair=Ctrl+G Horizontal Line=F6 Indicators...=Ctrl+I Line=F2 Pointer=Ctrl+R Print...=Ctrl+P Properties=Ctrl+T Ray=F3 Rectangle=Ctrl+F12 Regression Channel=Ctrl+F10 Reload All Historical Data=Ctrl+Shift+R Reload NinjaScript=F5 Remove Drawing Objects= Ruler=Ctrl+F3 Save As Image...= Show Chart Trader= Show Data Box=Ctrl+D Show Scrollbar= Show Toolbar= Snap Mode - Bar= Snap Mode - Bar And Price= Snap Mode - Disabled= Snap Mode - Price= Square=Alt+F7 Stay In Draw Mode= Strategies...=Ctrl+S Text=F12 Trend Channel=Ctrl+2 Triangle=Ctrl+F6 Triangle Down=Alt+F9 Triangle Up=Alt+F8 Vertical Line=F7 ZoomIn=Ctrl+Z ZoomOut=Ctrl+O
2011-07-01 14:47:43:679 Global Hot Keys: Cancel All Orders= Close Workspace= Flatten Everything= New Alerts...= New Basic Entry...= New Chart...= New Dynamic SuperDOM...= New FX Entry...= New FX Pro...= New Level II...= New Market Analyzer...= New News...= New Static SuperDOM...= New Strategy Analyzer...= New Time And Sales...= Next Workspace=Shift+F3 Previous Workspace= Save Workspace= Edit Indicators...= Open Instrument Manager...= Open Historical Data Manager...= Open Hot Key Manager...= Open Output Window...= Open Session Manager...= Edit Strategies...=
2011-07-01 14:47:43:695 Grid Hot Keys: Email Image...= Export to Excel...=Ctrl+M Find...=Ctrl+F Print...= Save As...=
2011-07-01 14:47:43:695 Market Analyzer Hot Keys: Add Blank Row= Add Label Row= Alerts= Auto Sort= Reload All Historical Data=Ctrl+Shift+R Reload NinjaScript=F5 Row Filter= Columns...=
2011-07-01 14:47:43:710 NinjaScript Editor Hot Keys: Compile=F5 Go To Line...=Ctrl+G Inline Syntax Checking=Ctrl+S Insert Code Snippet=F2
2011-07-01 14:47:43:742 Order Entry Hot Keys: Breakeven ATM Strategy= Breakeven Position= Buy Ask= Buy Bid= Buy Market= Cancel last Order= Close ATM Strategy= Close Position= Decrease Last Order Price= Increase Last Order Price= Modify Last Order To Fill= Reverse= Sell Ask= Sell Bid= Sell Market=
2011-07-01 14:47:43:882 Cbi.Licence.Download0
2011-07-01 14:47:49:546 Cbi.Licence.Download2
2011-07-01 14:47:49:750 Order entry hot keys disabled
2011-07-01 14:47:49:750 Creating file type watcher...
2011-07-01 14:47:49:765 Retrieving license...
2011-07-01 14:47:49:781 Invalid license...
See the 4th line down , My ninja user dat dir is \psf\home\documents\ninjatrader 7\ . That is where the ninja techs are saying the problem is . the user data for some reason wants to go via that psf , psf being parallel share folder and they say it must go thru a non share area as yours is . This is where no one can tell me how to do that .
The first window that comes up asks where you want to install it:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\

is what mine defaulted to,

try changing that.
Can you suggest an area that will not share . I have tried a few different ones but have been unsuccesful in solving the problem .
Change Sharing to this:

graphic

When I do that , when i try to save the download binary file nothing happens . It just dissapears
You mean you don‘t actually even have the setup.exe file?
Yes but now I apparently have a new problem
Go here and download Setup.exe:

Go here with any web browser and sign in.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic

There is also an update for Parallels today
I can't get things to work when I set it to None in the top box of shared folders
Set it to none and restart Windows
Download from your site but when it tries to load it says , could not access network location \psf\home\documents
That is not the download that is Parallel Tools trying to run. Go to Parallels / Check for Update run the Update and it will automatically install the Tools.
Ok , i am updating know but I have to leave computer for a couple of hours . Iwill try again later and get backto you . Thanks for not giving up yet .
Me either, good luck
Hi Mike , after I did everything you said when I try to start the installer the computer says could not find network psf \documents\ ninjatrader 7. Sorry I took so long I needed to get away from this problem for a while . Any ideas on this one .?
Try this:

1. Uninstall Parallels Tools using Add/Remove Programs control panel.
2. Reboot Windows.
3. Open Windows/System32/drivers and remove prlfs.sys driver if present.
4. Install Parallels Tools using Install Paralllels Tools... menu item in the Action menu of the Paralels Desktop application.
5. Reboot Windows.
Hi again Mike , about to try the uninstall you have given above but just before I do I can't find the above mentioned number 4 to reinstall . Can you explain again where to find action menu in the desktop application or what you mean by the desktop application .? Thanks
Sorry got to Virtual Machine / Reinstall Parallels tools
Sorry Mike , but I can't find where to install Parallel Tools . I don't seem to have the install Parallel Tools option anywhere . Can you guide me thru in laymens terms please . At the bottom of the windows page it says that Parallel tools are not installed and from virtual machine menu choose install parallel tools but I must be looking in the wrong area .
graphic
Mike, Mac Medic
OK Mike you have got me , I can't find that page anywhere . Where do I find that page you sent . I have looked everywhere for It .
You are my new hero , I found the re- install somewhere else and did that and the re boot and I still can't believe it but It installed and opened up first go . My wife is extremely happy as there has been a large drop in the amount of language coming from the office . Thanks again Mike for sticking with me thru this and I will certainly use and recommend this service again . Cheers XXXXX XXXXX .
Mike, Mac Medic