robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.
35592706

Having trouble with Mail on my mac book

Having trouble with Mail on my macbook and my iphone. Receive e-mail ok, but cannot send outgoing messages. Have Verizon FIOS service and just talked to tech services who checked all my mail settings and said they were ok. They said it was a problem with mac mail. I have re started several times with no help. UPDATE: my iphone is now able to send messages.
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 6 years ago.
Hi, it's been an alert out on the web that Yahoo and Verizon have suddenly changed how their mail settings work. These changes are the common fix, but it's important to know, the issue here is with Verizon/Yahoo and they have made a change that may impact your ability to send and receive e-mail.

A quick google search will show you thousands of people with similar issues, if you get a chance, voice your frustration with them.

Most common fix in your e=mail settings.

(1) Uncheck SSL for Incoming and Outgoing Servers

(2) Change Incoming Port Server to 110

(3) Set Outgoing Port to Default

I'm really upset with Yahoo - That was VERY dirty! They stopped support Incoming Sockets - Not cool!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have made the suggested changes to my mail server settings, however, I still cannot send- the authenication is still set on "password".
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Problem resolved.