Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

Iphone has died suddenly 3 times in 2 weeks. Bought it from

Iphone has died suddenly 3 times in 2 weeks. Bought it from Best Buy in October 2010. It won't take a charge now. I've tried resetting it. Doesn't help.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

When you plug it into the charger and into the wall, does the iPhone show any sign of life?

Customer:

not right now

Mac Extraordinaire :

Oh ok

Customer:

I'm plugging it into the computer into itunes to see if it sees it

Mac Extraordinaire :

But the iphone is off, correct?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Make sure that the wall charger is plugged in correctly into the wall socket (you can plug it in one of two ways). Often times, if the plug is switched around, it will not work.

Customer:

the only sign of life is when I push the on button with the reset button then it show the battery with a red line.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Mac Extraordinaire :

That means one of two things, either the battery needs to be recharged or the battery has failed.

Customer:

I know the battery needs to be charged. It won't take a charge. Itunes does not see my iphone either.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Ok

Customer:

The battery should not be failing. I only bought it in October 2010

Mac Extraordinaire :

Have you switched out the charging cable with a known good one?

Mac Extraordinaire :

I agree that it "should not" be failing, but it happens sometimes. If that is the case, then your warranty should cover replacement or repair.

Customer:

I've tried a different cord. Doesn't make a difference. You're not telling me anything that I don't already know. It's the battery. So what do I do now?

Mac Extraordinaire :

Now, you must bring it back to Best Buy and either replace it or have them send it out for repairs.

Customer:

I already talked with Best Buy this morning and they told me to contact the Apple support online.

Mac Extraordinaire :

I have dealt with the same issue more times than I would have liked to with these iPhones.

Customer:

So the battery is a common problem?

Mac Extraordinaire :

The fact is that you are due for a free repair or exhange because the iPhone should still be covered under the manufacturer's warranty (which is Apple).

Customer:

So is it Best Buy's responsibilty to send it to Apple?

Mac Extraordinaire :

I did not say that. Best Buy's policy is dependent on the store, it is more likely that you will have to contact Apple and work out the sending of the iPhone to them.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Just to check, have you already tried holding down the POWER button and HOME button on the iphone at the same time for 15 seconds?

Customer:

I've done that....

Customer:

Just now heard a beep. The phone is now charging. Didn't do anything but leave it in the wall. I still think there is a battery issue.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Once you do that reset while it is charged in, it will reset the required information and allow it to charge.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Please, leave it charging for a good long while and you will be good to go.

Customer:

So how do I contact Apple. I thought that's what I was doing.

Customer:

This is the 3rd time that this has happened with the battery.

Mac Extraordinaire :

Initially, I assumed that you already tried the forced reset (pressing both buttons).

Customer:

yes I did. already told you that.

Mac Extraordinaire :

I suggest that you leave it plugged in for 5 hours, unplug it, test it for a day and see how the battery is acting.

Mac Extraordinaire :

If it does fail again, you must contact Apple and demand a replacement.

Customer:

okay

Mac Extraordinaire :

Thank you for your time today.

Mac Extraordinaire :

After you click the Accept button now, you can always continue communication with me if you have problems by logging into this site and pulling up this chat history.

Thank you,
- Jason