Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi, Ive lost a document that I absolutely saved MANY times...is

Customer Question
Hi, I've lost a document...
Hi, I've lost a document that I absolutely saved MANY times...is there someone I can get to help me find it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
6/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.6.6 or Mac OS X 10.5.8, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• What application does your document belong to? (i.e. Microsoft Word, Adobe Reader, Keynotes, Pages, etc)

• Is there a folder on your desktop or within your Applications folder where you normally save such documents?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, I will be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
I have a pretty new macbook pro, just under one year old. Im using Mac OSX version 10.6.7. I received a document (docx) by email, then I edited it, then I made several changes and saved it several times, now I cant find any of my changes...someone suggested that maybe its saved in mail downloads? INstead of as a word document? Anyway, I cant find it
Thanks for your detailed reply.

Once of the benefits of using Mac OS X 10.6.7 (and any earlier version of Mac OS X), is that it comes with certain features designed just to make your tasks with your desktop environment a little easier and manageable.

One of those built-in features is called Spotlight.
Spotlight is a the built-in search feature within Mac OS X, which is always located in the upper right corner of your Mac OS X desktop window.

As you can see by the screen shot above, Spotlight is like the "Google" of your Mac OS X volume, because all you have to do is type in its search window the name of your file or even a part of the name of the document if you cannot recall the full name.

Spotlight will then search layers upon layers within your Mac OS X directory in order to try and locate the document you are unable to located. So whether the document is in an obscure file located in a place in Mac OS X you cannot find, if document is still preserved in Mac OS X, Spotlight can find it for you.

This is the first recommendtaion I would make for you to to try, because again as you see in the screen shot above, Spotlight will provide you all of the probable locations your document may be or even if it was inadvertantly placed in the Trash. So try a Spotlight search for your document first.

Let me know if this helps:

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

I will be watching for your reply.

Regards,

-Terry
Uh, no this is not correct,can someone get back to me in real time? I cant keep waiting 3o minutes...also in the upper right hand corner IS the google search, not the spotlight whcih you claim is on every page-it is not
Uh, no the problem is you see, the document did not save, BUT I KNOW I SAVED IT AT LEAST 6 TIMES, please read what I wrote about it being a document I opened up from the internet, I worked on it for hours, it must have saved, PLUS I personally clicked SAVE many times including at the end of the work session, I need this answered please, I must find the document
Thanks for your reply. And I do understand exactly what you are saying. However, what I provided you on my first initial answer to you is one of the best ways in Mac OS X that you are going to successfully locate ANY file within Mac OS X-- if it actually is still present within the Mac OS X environment you saved the document in. you must also realize that we are communicating by email and not remote desktop support which would be am excellent way to help you here.

But truth be told there are not a lot of locations that you can lose a Word document IF it has actually been saved. I understand you are new to the Mac OS X system and in using MS Word on a Mac - but I have extensive experience using and troubleshooting both. I know historically that Microsoft Office for Mac- Word saves any created documents on the Documents folder by default. The only way a saved Word document would not be in the Documents folder is if you as the author of the document changes where the document is to be saved to. Furthermore, I can only go by what you are telling me and if you review your previous replies, you did not imply that you were working with this document from the web until your last reply.

As a result, all this time I was under the impression from your account that you downloaded the document as an attachment and have been working on it from your desktop. That is the only reason I suggested you try locating the document via Spotlight.

Now that I know as you finally made yourself clearer to me, this is all about an online Word document you have been working on. So if you are working out of Safari or Firefox, chances are your saved documents are going into the Downloads folder which you can find by clicking on the Finder icon located on the far left corner on the Dock, located at the bottom of your screen.

When you click on the Finder icon, it will open up to your Home folder. The Home Folder contains all of the primary files for your user account. In the series of files in the Home Folder there is a Downloads folder.

Check in that folder and see if you can find your saved .docx document(s) there. Let me know if you see the documents in that folder.

-Terry
Terry,
I am not so terribly new to this process but please dont assume I know something. I have gone to the HOME FOLDER and then to the "Downloads" I do not see it at all. I am however, in a general search able to find the new renamed document (renamed by me) except that it does not have any of the changes I saved, and as odd as this sounds, I absolutely DID save on several occasions as well as the final save before attaching it to an outgoing email and sending it back to the original sender. The sender said they did not see the document, so I opened up my SENT email and while I do see the document there...it contains none of my changes. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for the prompt reply. I do not assume anything, I am a tech. All I can do when it comes to this form of troubleshooting, is work as well as I can to see through your feedback what you are experiencing and work to source what the issue could be.

The directions I provided you in my last reply, were based again, on you explaining to me that you are new to Mac.

Before I go any further I need you to be even more specific with me on what you are seeing.

How are you changing the document sent to you via email? Are you using Microsoft Word online to make the changes you have explained you have done?

What web browser are you using to make the changes to the document?

Are you using Webmail via the web browser to receive and send the email to your associate? If so what email service are you using to do so?

These are the the facts I need from you right now, because at this point, I am unable to get a line in on just what your workflow has been and with what resources (applications, websites) you have been using to modify and save this document you are unable to locate with the changes you explained you have made.

-Terry
Forgive me, but I have to Opt Out of this question. It is 2:30 am Pacific where I am and I must get some rest as I have been online all day.

As a result, I have taken the liberty to pass your question on to one of my fellow Experts who is online now, and have asked that he take over this question for me to further assist you.

I do apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you, but I must go offline now.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you thus far.

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry ("Mactechtrainer")
So, now I wait for the fellow expert? I am also on Pacific Time...Ive been trying to resolve this for over 2 hours thanks
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 6 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
What Mail program are you using?
Go to Macintosh HD /Users/your username/Library/ look in Mail Downloads. It is not a Good idea to open documents directly in email for just this reason you should always save to somewhere first. Let me know.
Mike, Mac Medic