Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a 250GB Verbatim 47580 portable hard drive and I used

Customer Question

I have a 250GB Verbatim 47580 portable hard drive and I used it to save some photos about 18 months ago. I am trying to access the photos now with a Macbook pro and am not having any success. Can you tell me how to get the photos back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 6 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more? It sounds like the methods you are using don't work, or the hard drive may have failed. Let me know some more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Rob,

to add more detail, I'll need to have another go and take you through exactly what messages are generated. However, in short, I am using Nero BackItUp software. The hard drive has some .nba (not .nbi) files on it - there are 4 of them, each around 3 GB. When I use the Nero software to try to restore, it asks for a restore path. I set it to the hard drive, but it appears to default to whatever the path was on the laptop used to back up the photos a few years ago (something like C:\users\Jon\my documents\my pictures\...). This laptop was stolen in a burglary and this path is different to both my new laptops.

When I click restore, I can see each of the individual photo files scrolling quickly by, but each one is given a red cross and the message "failed".

Does this mean that the hard drive is corrupted, or do you think it is something I am not doing correctly regarding the restoration of the files?

If you need more information I can, later today, set down exactly what I am doing, but perhaps you are familiar with how Nero works and could set down some precise steps for me to follow?

Regards

Jon