Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

iPhoto will not open on my MacBook.

Customer Question
My iPhoto will not open...

My iPhoto will not open on my MacBook. I have a Mac OS X 10.6.7 with a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I recently installed iLife 11, is this the problem?

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
5/2/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 6 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

What really happens when you open iPhoto? Are you getting any error messages?

No error. The icon won't even bounce up and down like normal when it's opening. iPhoto does appear at the top of my screen as if it were open.

Seems like it can't load the library. We can try to rebuild your iPhoto Library and see if that works or not..

Rebuild iPhoto Library

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the "Command" and "Option" keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

If that didn't worked then rebuild your iPhoto Library with this application, iPhoto Library Manager (just try the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Please follow the instructions in here to rebuild your iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/Help/rebuilding%20a%20corrupted%20iphoto%20library.html

Let me know if that didn't worked..

Best Regards

Thanks so much, I will try this. One question, I don't have my photos backed up will I lose them If I rebuild?

You're welcome! No, you won't lose the photos. Rebuilding will just fix the Library problems.

Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi, I was successful at rebuilding my iPhoto. Thank you very much for your input!

No Problem.

Hi, I am trying to convert a Keynote presentation from my Mac to iMovie. Do you know how to do this? I am stumped.

What version of Keynote and iMovie are you using?

featured content

iPhoto will not open 

When iPhoto crashes repeatedly, the library could be corrupted. If the library is corrupted, the application will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled again. Reinstalling will typically fix most issues.

Another option would be to delete the settings and restore the application. To restore the application, you will find the “Restore” option under “Preferences” in the user library.

If the above steps do not help restore iPhoto back to a functioning state, below are a few options to try.

Macbook

Option 1: Try backing up and rebuilding the iPhoto library. To do this hold down the "Command" and "Option" (alt) buttons while opening the iPhoto application. Once the application has opened, select the “Repair Database” option. If this does not help, hold down the command and option (alt) buttons and instead select “Rebuild Database.”

Option 2: Download the iPhoto Library Manager and use the “Rebuild” task. In some previous versions of the Library Manager, select “File” -> “Rebuild Command.” In the newer versions, this option in located in the “Library Menu.”

This step should make a new library for photos. Next, it should copy the existing photos, data, and versions to the newly created library as organized as close to the former library. 

Ashik, Mac Technician