Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi, I have a troubled iMac. I got the grey screen and asked

Hi, I have a troubled iMac. I got the grey screen and asked to hold in the power button to restart. Would not restart, tried putting in the OS X system disc to reinstall, got 'install failed, Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer, the installer could not copy the necessary support files...
Tried repairing and verifying the disc using Utilities, Disc Utility but could not reinstall OS X. Disc will not eject either holding mouse and restarting, eject key on keyboard or in the Disc Utilities menu.
Help and advice please.
Tony
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded) and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Mike, as I noted the disc is in the computer, it will not eject.
Restarted as advised.Verify gave message 'The volume untitled appears to be ok'.
Repair permissions is grey and not available.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
If Repair Permissions is grayed out there is no system on it currently and untitled is an unusual name for the system drive. Are you sure you have the correct drive selected? Did you reformat it? Do you have more than one drive?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I did erase free space. I do have the correct drive selected.
I do not recall reformatting but it is several weeks and a long trip to Australia since I had the problem, sorry.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Is that the only drive listed? Can you reformat it now or do you have data on there you need to try and recover?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it is the only drive listed '500.11 GB WDC WD500'

I have copies of the most important data so can reformat.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Put the system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language , then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on Erase, name it Macintosh HD, and choose the Option to Zero Out all Data. It may take a while but this ensures any bad blocks are mapped out and also your data is completely erased. When finished you can install new system. Run software update when restarted.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, just finished re formatting, re installing OS X
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, got the message ' Install Failed, Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer ....'

Should I try again?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
What system are you trying to install and what model Mac is it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IMAC 21.5inch 3.06 4G 500GB Model A1311
|Mac OS X installer Version 230.1.1 (262)
Trying to install the OS X that came with the computer. Cannot eject the disc to check version
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Restart and hold down the mouse button.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Disc did not eject
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Are you sure the computer is completely off? Hold in the Power button for about 10 seconds then turn it back on and hold mouse button.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi,I switched the mains power off for over 2min. Held down the mouse while the computer started. Just came back to the screen asking for language choice.
Did not eject
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Try resetting the PRAM.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
6. Release the keys.

Then hold the Eject button on the keyboard instead.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi,held down the keys until got to the language choice screen. Then held down the eject key, could hear the drive working but did not eject
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
If you held down the keys you should never have got to the Language screen unless you let go of them. Are you sure you are holding the right keys?

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Quite sure I held the correct keys. Restarted and held them until the apple logo appeared then released.
Came back to the language screen
During start screen came on grey then went off then came back grey and on to apple logo grey screen etc.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK it is not working then because you should never get to that screen until you let go.

Try this:

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord.
  • Wait fifteen seconds.
  • Attach the computer's power cord.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Then quickly hold the Eject button until the disk ejects.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, disc ejected! It is Mac OS version 10.6.3 Disc version 1
Screen shows a flashing query mark on a file
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK is it the Disk that came with the Mac?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK make sure the disk is clean and reinsert it. Hold down the power button on the Mac until it shuts off (at least 10 seconds), you want to make sure you are not just putting it to sleep. Then start it and try again holding the C key. See if you can install.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, got the 'install failed 'message
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Well since you zeroed out the data and reformatted there must be a hardware problem I’m afraid you will have to take it in for repair.