Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My external speakers just quit working on my iMac. The internal

Customer Question
My external speakers just quit...
My external speakers just quit working on my iMac. The internal speakers still work and the external speakers work when hooked to another device. Is my headphone port blown?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
4/24/2011
Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.6.6 or Mac OS X 10.5.8, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• With the About this Mac window still open, could you also provide me the processor speed and RAM for your iMac?

• Finally, is your iMac an iMac 20", 12.5", 24" or 27" model?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
I am running OS X 10.6
Ram 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I believe it is a 24" model. I know it is not 12.5 or 27.
I am running OS X 10.6
Processor 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Ram 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Thanks for your reply and my apologies, the "12.5" is incorrect, the correct model designation is iMac 21.5". That was my error.

So, to determine if you are experiencing a bonafide hardware issue, here is what I recommend you try.

Take your speaker jack and insert it into the Optical Audio port on the back of your iMac.

graphic

• Once it is fully seated in that port, remove the jack and then insert in in the Headphone port.

• After you have done this, then remove the speaker jack completely. --
** Do not reconnect external speakers yet**

• Close all applications and windows and shutdown your iMac

Now perform an SMC Reset (as shown below)

-SMC RESET-
The System Management Controller is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is usually on the logic board of your Mac computer.

It is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

• Shut down the computer.
• Unplug the computer's power cord.
• Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
• Release the power button.
• Attach the computers power cable.

* Start your iMac back up and from the main desktop, click on the
Apple menu icon and select System Preferences
• From System Preferences select Sound
When in the Sound preferences click on the Output tab
graphic

Without your externa speakers connected, you should only see Internal Speakers
under Name.

• Keeping this window open, proceed to connect your external speaker jack back into the Headphone port.

Check to see in the System Preferences>Sound pane if the output changes to External Speakers.

If it does, go ahead and run some audio on your Mac to check and see if you are now able to hear any audio from your external speakers.

• If you do not see the External Speakers description show in the Sound pane window, then the next step I want you to take because I noticed in your reply with your system specifications, that you are running Mac OS X 10.6.

If you have not updated to Mac OS X 10.6.7 please go to the black Apple icon and select "Software Updates" and update your Mac OS X to the latest update. This could help with System Preference settings for your Sound and possibly the issue you are having, but that is only one possibility.

For now, try the aforemention procedure with the speaker jack and SMC reset of your iMac and let me know how that turns out.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

Please do not press "Accept" until you have experienced a resolution from this answer and are satisfied with the results.

If you have not achieved the desired resolution with this answer for any reason, please update me as necessary, with details of what you experienced.

This will allow me to continue working to resolve this technical issue for you.

I will be watching for your next reply.

Thanks!

Regards,

-Terry
Sorry, I had to leave for a while to take my son to dinner.

I have tried the SMC reset and have updated my software to 10.6.7. Before I did the SMC reset, I plugged the speaker back into the headphone port and the left speaker started working. The right speaker didn't work and the external volume control wouldn't work. The internal volume control worked on the left speaker. I unplugged the speaker from the headphone port, shut down, unplugged the power cord, held the power button for 20 seconds, reconnected the power cord, turned on the computer, looked at the system preferences and saw that the internal speakers were selected. I plugged in the speakers into the headphone port. The "headphone" speakers appeared in the window however, I still only got sound from the left speaker. What's next?
Thanks for the update.

However it appears that your headphone port is fine, the issue may be with your speakers.

The true way to tell if the headphone port (which is also to be used for external speakers) works or not, is to take a set of headsets and connect to the port and test the audio.

If the headphones work in both left and right ear, that means your speakers more than likely have a short and that is where the issue lies.

Try that out and update me when you can.

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,

-Terry
MacTechTrainer
It turns out the the audio cable for the speakers went bad. I replaced it and all is well in stereo land.
Fantastic! I was more confident it had to do with a short in your speakers that your headphone port which you confirmed for me yesterday was working fine despite the right speaker not working. So thanks for the update, I was curious to know how things turned out.

And thank you for the Accept. I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

If you are satisfied with the Answer(s) provided you, however, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry ("Mactechtrainer")
I though I had left positive feedback and now I don't see any place to provide feedback. If you can direct me I will be happy to provide positive feedback. I appreciate your help in putting me on the right track for the answer.
Thanks much, I believe I just have to click the Answer key from here and send you an answer.
We cannot see what you see from the customer side, so I can't be sure if this will work, but here it goes..

Make sure however, if you do not see any way to provide feedback to not press the Accept button if it appears again as you have already paid and we thank you for that in itself.

Even if this does not work, you success is still a positive feedback in its own right, so in advance I thank you for at least trying.

Warmest Regards,

-Terry
("Mactechtrainer")
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer