Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

first generation iphone. forgot password. phone is disabled.

Customer Question

first generation iphone. forgot password. phone is disabled. it tells me to connect to Itunes but it won't allow me to connect.
how do I unlock it to reset my password
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

If you could connect the iPod to the computer you normally use it with and open iTunes. then wait a minute till it has synched and then disconnect the iPod from the computer it should no longer be locked so you can get into the settings menu using remove the password.

If that does not work you will need to restore it by connecting the Ipod to your computer again then selecting it when it shows in the list on the left and clicking the restore button on the right hand pane.

If it will not allow you to sync or restore can you tell me what error it gives you?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it doesn't give me any message. it will not connect. doesn't even register when I connect to the computer.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Can you tell me how long ago it was when you last docked your iPhone to your computer?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
months.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Can you press and hold down the top button and the front button on your iPhone and keep them held for 15 seconds, during that time the phone should shut down, power up and then shut down again.

Can you tehn wait 5 seconds and then press and hold the front button and keep it held then press the power button for about 2 seconds keeping the front button held and then let go of the power and keep the front button held for 20 seconds.

Hopefully this will put your iPhone into recovery mode so when you have done all that can you then connect it to your computer your machine should see the phone in recovery mode and then autmatically restore it for you.

If you would try that and let me know what happens

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
didn't work.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

In that case can you click start then control Panel and then can you select the Add/Remove Hardware option under the device manager and then locate Apple Mobile Device Support and right click it then choose remove.

Once it is removed can you then open your My documents folder then open Music and open the iTunes folder.

From there can you right click on the iTunes music folder and choose copy then close the window and right click on an empty part of your desktop and choose Paste so that we have a copy of your iTunes library on the desktop.

Once that is done can you click Start then control panel and open Programs, Find iTunes in the list and give it a single click to highlight it then choose remove.

Once it is removed can you restart your computer then follow this link http://apple.com/itunes/download to download a fresh copy of iTunes to your desktop.

Once the program is downloaded can you install iTunes just like normal.

After it is finished can you then open iTunes and let me know if it will run properly and that all your music is listed.

If it is will you then connect your iPhone and then follow the prompts and let me know if it will now install and then restore properly or if you get any errors.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

nothing on the device manager says add/remove. I see apple mobile device usb dirve only.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Is the Apple mobile device under USB in the device manager?

If so that is what you need to remove

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

this is the computer I normally use. the ipod is not registering.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

That is why we are trying to update the version of iTunes and to reinstall the Apple mobile device drivers, hopefully that way we can get the iPhone to be recognized and then get it to unlock by restoring.

So with the iPhone plugged in do you see anything in the device manager that says Apple Mobile device?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no the iphone does not even accept power from the power cord when it's plugged into the computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.
Ok,

Do you have another apple sync cable so we can make sure the cable is good?

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tried another cable. doesn't work.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Are you plugging directly into the computers rear ports or are you using a USB hub?

Were you also able to remove the apple mobile device driver and then uninstall then reinstall iTunes?

If so can you connect your iPhone and then press CTRL+ALT+DEL and click the processes tab and let me know if the Apple Mobile Device Service shows in the list or not.

Thanks