Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I forced quit IPhoto. After restarting the computer (MacBook)

Customer Question
I forced quit IPhoto....
I forced quit IPhoto. After restarting the computer (MacBook) I am unable to start the application - it reads "The application 'iPhoto' cannot be launched. -10828"

The iPhoto icon is not in full-color now at the bottom of the screen - it's got a "0" symbol with a line through it and it's in black and white.

Please help!

Thank you!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
4/3/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 7 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
It may take a bit to fix this, do you have the installation disks?
What version of OS X do you have?
I have the "MacBook Mac OS X Install DVD" and the "MacBook Applications Install DVD"
Ok, then this is first.

Repairing Permissions and following that a pram reset.

Then open Applications a double click iPhoto, if it opens then the problem is not with iPhoto.

The icon in the dock is just an alias and can be replaced easily by locating the app in Applications, dragging that to the dock and pushing in until the other apps move over and then letting go.

This puts a new alias and leaves the app where it belongs.

I executed the Permissions Repair. Then I went to Applications and attempted to open iPhoto with a double-click. That resulted in the following message:

"You cannot open the application iPhoto because the Classic environment is no longer supported."
Mac OS X
Version 10.5.8
"Software Update"

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I selected "More Info" and scrolled down to iPhoto - it indicates in the "Kind" column that it is "Classic" - I noticed that other items in that long list are "Universal"
Okay, I suggest you trash the plist.
Just drag them to the trash but do not empty it yet. Now try opening iPhoto.
I did as you said - but when I tried to open iPhoto it produced the same message about not having the "Classic" environment.
Okay, the next thing is to reinstall iPhoto. Drag the new plist to the trash, place the iPhoto Library in a folder on your desktop.
Now download this utility, Pacifist, insert disk one of the install disks and follow the instructions on the website to extract iPhoto to install it.
It is easy to use but read how.
Please tell me again - which is the first step? (I just tried looking for the "new plist" but didn't find it.)
iPhoto creates a new plist when the old one is trashed, yours may not have because it did not open.
Never mind that part.

Pacifist PDF This will help with it.

You instructed me to "place the iPhoto Library in a folder on your desktop."

I am having trouble finding the iPhoto Library.
Ok, I am sorry, I forgot to tell where that was.
Look in your home folder (your small house) then in Pictures, you will find the iPhoto Library.
The reason to do this is to protect the contents. After the new iPhoto is in we will move it back to replace the one that iPhoto will create.
I successfully moved the iPhoto Library to the desktop. I then downloaded Pacifist.

Then I inserted the MacBook "Mac OS X Install DVD" - what came up on the screen seemed to be all about installing the whole operating system - which I assume is not what I want.

So then I put in the other disk labelled "MacBook Applications Install DVD" - but for some reason my computer is saying that this disk is not readable.

The PDF I sent and will give again here, Pacifist PDF explains what to do.
After the disk is read then click Open Package and you will see the above.
Type iPhoto in the text box and it will show just where it is.
I put in the Install DVD but I don't see "Open Package" - rather I see "Install OS" or "Optional Installs" or "Instructions"
Try instructions, or read the PDF.
I just read through the whole "Instructions" and there is no mention of the "Open Package" command that you indicated above.
I also read the PDF - it's over my head and uses terms that I am not familiar with.
I cannot reach out and do it for you. You may have to take it in to an Apple store, nowhere else, and they will fix it for a small free if any fee. I can do no more.