Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

im trying to install a new version of mac osx on my mac book

im trying to install a new version of mac osx on my mac book pro, its not on disc. Only go the original .dmg file. When i launch it says "requires restart then installtion will begin" when it restart it does not start installation, just reboots...... help please
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
You cannot install Mac OS X from a .dmg because the drive it is trying to install on is also where the file that is doing the installing is located. Can't be done.
You can burn that .dmg to a DVD and boot from the DVD and install.
What precedes the .dmg? What is the name of the .dmg, this will tell me how to get this to work for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Issue resolved.
No help required

Thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Glad to hear it.