Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi Daniel. Okay, I am going through and re-entering contact

Customer Question
Hi Daniel. Okay, I am going...
Hi Daniel.
Okay, I am going through and re-entering contact information into the iPhone. Good opportunity to cull some of them. But. When I sync the two, I end up with duplicate entries in the iPhone address book. I've been to INFO and seen nothing out of place. What's going on here?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 6 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius

Under Info in iTunes how do you have the Sync Address Book Contacts setup?
graphic
That shows an iPod but it works the same way.
I would also consider looking in your contact list to see if the dupes are there also.
The next thing is to delete the whole thing from the phone and sync from iTunes and see where that goes.
Make sure you have things backed up should you run into trouble.
As I said, I'm in INFO and nothing seems out of place.

The only things highlighted are Sync Address Book Contacts / All Contacts.
Nothing down in the advanced section...

And I get the Sync Alert telling me that that it's going to add 0, modify 0 and delete 68. At this point I have 112 contacts in the Address Book.. I pushed the 'Sync Later' button.
It's all okay. It's seven o'clock on Friday evening and we all maybe have better things to do right now.

I'll be back in touch on Monday..

Thanks for everything. You're great!
Monday it is, we will get this straightened out.
Relist: I still need help.
It was seven o'clock on Friday evening and I thought Daniel and I both had better things to do, so I told him that I would be back in touch on Monday. Thanks for your concern.
pe
If you have setup the sync in iTunes so that when you plug in the iPhone it waits for you to tell it what to do then plug in the phone and select replace the contents on the phone with what is on the computer.
Now it will go from the computer to the phone and not wipe out what is on the computer.
Hi Daniel,
Okay, I'm a little confused here. When I plug in the phone, it immediately tells me that it is syncing - slide to stop - which I have been doing because I was afraid of losing data. This evening when I plugged it in I did the same thing, but in reviewing the address book in my laptop, I see that by now I have several more entries in the phone than in the laptop. I hit the sync button and, for the first time in a few days, did not get the sync alert telling me that it was going to delete some contacts. I have my fingers crossed.
What I'm reading in your answer is that initially I should have plugged in the phone, then unplugged it, hit the button in the advanced section to replace the information in the phone with that in the computer, and then plugged the phone back in. Is that basically correct or have I misread something?
I'm going to be out most of tomorrow (Monday) doing a river trip up the (Wild and Scenic( Myakka River. I'll get back to this tomorrow evening or Tuesday.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Paul
Monday morning. In spite of the above, it synced nothing overnight. This morning, I unplugged and re-plugged the phone - and immediately got the sync notice that it was going to delete 68 of my contacts on the computer. I did it again, with the same result. I hit the 'sync later button and walked away.
I'm on the way out.
These are the official instructions for doing this found in iTunes Help.

graphic
That is how it is done, if you did something different than what it tells you to do then the results will not be what you want.

Okay, I have de-activated automatic syncing, so I don't have to be so fast on the button.

I sort of got it that when I have fewer contacts in the iPhone than in the laptop address book, it might delete some of the ones from the address book if it was syncing in that direction. What I don't understand is why, when I have more contacts in the phone than in the computer, it wants to delete many contacts from the computer.
I just attempted to sync them again, and again got the sync alert saying if I did that it was going to delete 68 contacts from the computer. I'm pretty mystified...
Try the second item in the list for the issue you are having.
The second item in which list? Do you mean 'Selected Groups'? So far I haven't assigned any groups. All my contacts are (or were) in one big amorphous lump..
What i mean is the second blue one. The one that says For Issues Syncing Contacts and Contact Groups.
Please read it very carefully.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Daniel, Mac Genius