Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Need Excel formula to return results for more than 1 match

Customer Question
I have 3 tables. a...
I have 3 tables. a list of my products, a list of inventory from a supplier where the product ID does not (necessarily) match my product ID, and a list of alternate product IDs for each of my product IDs (2 columns one with my product ID and one with possible supplier product IDs). the last one is like a key table which will allow me to match my products with the supplier's products. the problem is, if I use a (nested) vlookup formula to find the alternate product ID in table 3 and then look it up on the suppliers inventory table, it will only match the first alternate on table 3 and if there is no result, it won't try and see if there is a match for the second alternate ID for that product, or the third, etc.. Can someone help me? thanks Steve<br/><br/>ps<br/>here is a tiny sample of the tables<br/><br/>table 1<br/>My product ID                 + formula to return inventory qty<br/>2K4-A1005                      |<br/>2K4-A1005-10-PACK      |<br/><br/><br/><br/><br/>table 2<br/>supplier product ID    + Quantity<br/>A10005                      |     32<br/><br/><br/>table 3<br/>My product ID                 + Alternate product ID<br/>2K4-A1005                      |    A1005<br/>2K4-A1005                      |    1005<br/>2K4-A1005                      |    A105<br/>2K4-A1005-10-PACK      |    1005<br/>2K4-A1005-10-PACK      |    A1005<br/>2K4-A1005-10-PACK      |    A105
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
4/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: John D, BS Degree in Engineering replied 6 years ago
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering

Hi Steve,

Could you please send me the file so I can see the data layout and try to set up the formulas on it (let me know if you are not familiar with sending files on this site)

hi
I don't know how to send a file on this site

Ok, go to www.wikisend.com and upload the file there (no need to sign up). You will then get a page that has the download link and File ID. Copy the download link or the File ID and come back here and paste it in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

http://wikisend.com/download/560828/inventory_Update_Worksheet_test.xls

I got the file, thanks

Since your formulas are under the 'qty' column, I will assume that you want the formula to return the quantity from column B on 'BRC' where your product matches supplier product on the 'ALT' sheet. Correct?

yes

Ok, since there are multiple occurrences of your product on the ALT sheet you will need a macro to pull them all. I can write the macro for that which can be run on demand by say clicking a button. Would that be ok

my workbook is much more compicated than this sample workbook. there are 22 sheets and multiple named ranges and I need to perform this lookup across multiple tables (one for each supplier) and then add the results together. will your solution only work for the sample I have given you?

Any solution, formulas or macro, will work only on the file that it is designed to work on. You chose to send me that file so I assume you wanted the solution for that file

this is going to be a bigger job then

Yes with that many more sheets it is bound to be a bigger job. If macro is an acceptable option for you, you can send me the actual file and I will have a look and let you

Mike, Mac Medic