Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Im working on an iMovie project getting an error message saying

I'm working on an iMovie...
I'm working on an iMovie project getting an error message saying the project is too long. I've looked over some similar problems online but don't see what the cause is. My iMovie project is 1 hr. 37 minutes and 47.2 MB. I have 3 GB of SDRAM and a 250 GB HD with 11.8 GB of free space, using Mac OS X version 10.6.7 and iMovie '11 (version 9.0.2). I've also opened iDVD and left it open with a new project and changed the encoding down to High Quality for a 4.2 GB SL Disc. Any suggestions?
4/1/2011
Mike, Mac Medic
Try Exporting at Full Quality and then import that into iDVD
I attempted to export as you suggested. The program cranked for 16 HOURS to format the video. In the end, I was not sitting at my computer when it finished in the 16th hour. Now the exported document (which was supposed to be sent to "Documents") is nowhere to be found, and it appears I'll need to start all over. Seems like there must be a better way. Is it normal to take so long to formate a video that is an hour and a half long?....Not very user friendly.

Any response would be appreciated.
No it's not normal.

First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Mike,

About this Mac:
Mac OS X (Version 10.6.7)
Processor - 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory - 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Performed "Verify Disk" and it appeared to be OK.

Performed "Repair Permissions" and received a LONG list of "Permissions differ..." or "Group differs...", then "Repaired...." after 2 hours the Permissions Repair was complete.

I wasn't sure what to do next but this work related video project is past critical so decided to look at "Verify Disk Permissions". Only ran for a few seconds, then I stopped it manually. The list still had several descriptions that stated things "differed". I did notice that a couple of the User Differs description were the opposite of what the previous Repair Permissions list was - i.e. went from previous of "....should be 95, user is 0" to "....should be 0, user is 95"

I ran the Repair Disk Permissions again. This time it only took a minute or two. The last item on the list said :

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Where should I go from here?

Thank you.
Try exporting your video again.
I was able to create video properly through iMovie and sharing to iDVD.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help! One last question before I hit Accept Answer.... any idea what causes the differing conditions in the Permissions? Is that a maintenance item I need to keep up on?

Thanks, again!
Yes run that every few weeks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Mike, Mac Medic