Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Unable to get printer status (Forbidden)

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
3/26/2011
Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.6.6 or Mac OS X 10.5.8, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• What model of printer are you using? (Epson RX500, HP Photosmart C6180, etc)
• Is your printer connected?
• Finally what steps have you already attempted to resolve this? (Just for me to clarify what you have tried already, to make sure my troubleshooting recommendations for you, are not redundant)

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry

We have two iMacs connected wirelessly. Both run OS X 10.5.8 We have two printers, a Brother and an HP Photosmart 4200 color. The Brother works fine with both computers. The HP is connected via USB to my computer and works fine. However, when my wife tries to print in color, she gets the message "Unable to get printer status (Forbidden) She used to be able to print but no longer. Discussion groups suggest it started with an OSX update. This sounds reasonable. Both computers have printer sharing marked and each printer is shared on each computer. The firewall is set to allow all access.
Thanks for your reply and my apologies for the double-type in my initial question to you, not sure what happended, but I hope it did not initially confuse you.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX wife not being able to print on her iMac, I have seen this before and it tends to happen with the Mac OS X 10.5.8 system when it comes to some printers.

First step I would recommend you take in this case, is to go
on your wife's iMac, go into System Preferences > Print & Fax and see if the HP Photosmart 4200 is listed in the Printer list.

Step 1:
• If you do see the HP listed, then click the "-" minus button to remove that printer and go to Step 2 below to re-add the printer.

• Now it is not showing, then attempt to add the HP PS 4200. If you see it in the list of available printers, make sure the HP if it is seen as Bonjour Shared.
If you do not see it at all, stop here and let me know.

Step 2:
Once you see the printer (as Bonjour Shared) in the Printer list, then re-add it back to the available printer queue and try to run a test print with the newly re-added HP PS 4200.

Let me know if this helps

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

I will be watching for your reply.

Thanks,

-Terry
Did all you asked and still "Unable to get printer status (Forbidden)
This is just a courtesy update to let you know I am still here.

Please be patient with me if you would, I am determining an answer for you. We do not answer in haste here, as it would not be beneficial for either of us. I believe I have an idea of what could be causing the issue, but not quite there yet.

I will be with you shortly.

Thank you,

Regards,

-Terry
Thanks for your patience.

I have an answer for you now, but I need the exact model of your HP printer, as 4200 is listed as series, but I need a specific model # (i.e. "C4280" or "C4272", etc)

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your reply.

-Terry
C4280
Thanks for that detail.

Try this now:

Make sure to download and install this HP Driver update for your wife's iMac.
HP Printer Driver Update v1.1 - (Mac OS X 10.5.3 & later)

Make sure that your host computer (the iMac the printer is attached to) has the same driver as your computers connected through Bonjour.

Should you update the HP PS C4280 driver on the host computer, make sure to turn the printer on and off before continuing.

This is a suggested resolution, so let's see if this resolves the issue.

Thanks for your patience and please forgive the delay, I had to make sure I had the most updated pre- Snow Leopard HP driver update information for you in order to make this recommendation.

I will watch for your next update.

Regards,

-Terry
Driver on both Computers is 2.3.2 HP PS C4200

Driver on wife's computer was not the same. It now is. I have restarted the printer. Same message. "Unable to get printer status (Forbidden)"
Ok, I have a workaround I would like you to try. It is not a guarantee to work, but is worth the attempt at trying to get your wife's iMac to print:

• First, on the iMac which is hosting the HP PS C4280:
• Click on the Apple menu icon and select System Preferences then go to Sharing pane
• In the Sharing folder, select Printer Sharing and make sure under Printers your HP is selected and under Users: make sure Everyone is showing with the permissions "Can Print" selected in the right box

•Now click on File Sharing in the left side box. Retrieve your IP Address, where the message shows:
"Other users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at afp://0.0.0.0.0 (your own IP Address)/ or “Your Mac Computer name ”.
• Once you write your IP Address down
• Click on the Show All button at the top of the screen

• This will take you back your main System Preferences window
• Now click on Print and Fax
• When Print and Fax opens, click the "+" Plus symbol beneath the Printers box
• Now the Add Printer window will appear. From the toolbar above, click on the IP icon.
• In the Address box of the IP window, type in the IP Address you took down
• Allow the window to find the best possible printer driver. If it defaults to "Generic PostScript Printer" under the Print Using drop down box, leave it as it is and select the Add button.

• Follow the remaining prompts to add this IP Address as a new Printer.
• On the main screen of the Print and Fax page, where you see the currently connected printers, you should now see a generic printer with the name showing your IP Address.
• Select that IP printer and make sure the checkbox entitled "Share this printer on the network" is selected.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
•• Now go to your wife's iMac and open up System Preferences > Print & Fax
and if you don't see that IP printer in the main Printers window, click the "+" Plus
button and select that IP Printer from your list of printers and Add it.

• Once you Add that printer to your wife's Print queue, you should now see it actively listed.

• From this point, proceed to try a test print to see if your wife's iMac will print using the IP printer in proxy of the HP PS C4280.

This is a recommended work-around, so please update me as soon as you find out if this works or not.

I appreciate you hanging in here like this and I will continue to work on this for you, until we get a viable solution.

Regards,

-Terry
OK...
Printer sharing is on. Both printers are checked. There are NO other options. No options for Users. No options for permissions. (Remember I am using OSX 10.5.8 Leopard not OSX 10.6... Snow Leopard, in case that makes a difference)

The rest of this is going to take time so I'm going to call a halt for the night. It is 8:37PM Pacific Time. i don't know where you are but it's got to be time for you to do something other than addres my issue. I'll get back to you in the morning.

Thanks for your continued effort.

Chuck Klein
Anytime Chuck! And yes I am aware you are using Mac OS X 10.5.8 - I can't forget, because I went through the same issue with my Mac network with 10.5.8 a few years ago. So no worries about that.

In the meantime, I will be avail for a while this evening, but also tomorrow.

Be sure to bookmark this page and reply back to me when you are online.

As I have more options for you to try, in order to rectify this issue, I will add them and send then out per this post.

Take care until sir and have a good evening. Thanks for being so vigilant during this marathon resolution process!

Regards,

-Terry
Neither computer prints to my HP from the IP 192.168.1.5 which is the address given for file sharing. I also don't believe this is an address for the printer but for the computer from which files can be shared.

Please be patient with me if you would, I have been working most of today trying to evaluate a sound resolution to the issue of your wife's iMac not being able to print to the HP PS C4280 printer. So far I have not come up with any further troubleshooting steps that I am satisfied to deliver to you.

I am testing some UNIX command-line scripts go behind Mac OS X interface and see if there is a way to correct the CUPS Printing service, in an effort to work and that "Forbidden" block which is preventing the print process for going through on your wife's iMac.

I have some possibilites I am testing, but not ready to provide those procedures just yet. I can tell you, your HP is talking to your wife's iMac, but there appears to be some kind of permissions problem here for what I am checking into so far.

I will be contacting you tomorrow. I really appreciate your patience and my apologies for the delay in this process- this is a tough technical issue, but not an impossible one, so don't give up on my efforts, I am very much still on this case.

Thank you again for your patience.

Regards,

-Terry
I want to thank you again, for your patience during this session and for your diligence in trying the instructions I have provided to you in order to help get your wife's iMac out of that "Forbidden" state in regards XXXXX XXXXX to the HP Photosmart C4280.

After the last 2 days trying and testing possible scenarios to resolve this issue for you, I have not found even in my Unix command line scripts, a sound resolution at present I'm afraid. I cannot calculate the amount of time I have been on HP's support page regarding this error, as well as Apple's support website, trying to make out what is causing the error you are experiencing and how to fix it- and could not find too much of anything, to my chagrin.

Yet, while it would seem futile to continue, as a Mac technician I always strive to go as far as I can, using the available resources I have to provide the best resolutions possible. So that is why I am still with you on this.

So at present, I do not have a bonafide procedure to reverse this issue yet, but I do have a resource or two I would like to at least share with you, in hopes that maybe it will serve as possible work around the mysterious "Forbidden" issue.

First of all, if you have not already done so, I recommend you download on your wife's iMac and reinstall the Mac OS X 10.5.8 Update Combo to see if an overwrite of the update can remove that error message:

Here is the link for you:
Download and Re-install Mac OS X 10.5.8 Update Combo

Once you have performed that procedure again, try this 3rd party remote printer software for your network, to try and help restore your wife's iMac's ability to print.

This software is called "PrinterShare" and was developed for Macs and PCs to allow computers to remotely and wirelessly share printers in home and office networks.

As I understand, your HP PS C4280 is connected to your iMac, so your wife's iMac should be able, with PrinterShare's software installed, by tunneling through the software to connect and print to the HP, and hopefully circumventing the current printer configuration that is preventing the communication between her iMac and the HP.

Here is the main web page for your review.
Review and Download PrinterShare

This is again, a possible work-around procedure to get past this "Forbidden" error, so there is no gurarantee that it will work, but PrinterShare is a free software to initially use and poses no risk to either of your iMacs. You will have to download and install the software on both iMacs however.

So this is what I have come up with at this time. I will still be waiting for an update from you.

Thanks so much and I hope this helps.

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry

MacTechTrainer
Thank you. I will try these steps. I am going to accept this answer and call it quits. You have done more work on this issue than the $38.00 warrants. Go ahead and drop this issue. It's time you got a life of your own.

Thanks again for your effort.

As I said I will try these steps printed above.

CK
Thank you for the Accept. I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

However, remember, an "Accept" is not the end of the session, especially if you still have questions or you find your issue is still not resolved after accepting my initial answer.

And thank you for your consideration, but as a Mac user seeking assistance, this is what I am here for -- and as long as this issue is outstanding and this problem remains for you, even after the "work-around" procedure I provided you, don't resist coming back and posting to this session again.

I can also keep this session open for as long as you need. I am a Certified Mac tech and this is what I do. Incidentally, I can work up to 10 or more questions at any given time, and each question is important to me to complete to the best of my abilities as a Sr. Mac Support Specialist . Besides, a new issue like this, is what any good tech would want to sink his technical teeth in to. That's me

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

So don't stop on my behalf.

If you do want to go on, please, feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

Otherwise, if you really done and for the most part, are satisfied with the Answer(s) provided you, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you again!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry ("Mactechtrainer")