Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My Hotmail stopped taking Attachments yesterday, 3/1/11. I

My Hotmail stopped taking Attachments...
My Hotmail stopped taking Attachments yesterday, 3/1/11. I can receive Attachments, but can't attach anything to outgoing messages. What might have happened? (Just before it stopped, I had received and opened a very large TIF file -- 15.6 mb -- but no-one else in my communications with this file experienced any difficulty from it.) How to fix?

My computer is an iMac. I haven't experienced this problem ever before in four years of using this service.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/2/2011
Mike, Mac Medic
I installed the Silverlight and still can't send Attachments.
OK let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Version 10.4.11

Processor 2 GHz Intel Core Duo

Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OK, the Verify Disk was not OK, and I went through Repair Permissions -- which was quckly done -- what is next? Do I got through Verify Disk again?
No you need to do this:

Put the current operating system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on verify disk. If that is Ok, Repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair Disk.
Is this supposed to be an actual, physical disk? If so, I've rummaged through my office drawers and come up with disks for my printer and my son's laptop, but no disk for this computer at all.

...Does it look like I am headed for an Apple Store to get this going right?
There is another way if you are up to it:

To run fsck, you first need to start up your Mac in single-user mode. Here's how:
• 1. Restart your Mac.
• 2. Immediately press and hold the Command and "S" keys.
You'll see a bunch of text begin scrolling on your screen. In a few more seconds, you'll see the Unix command line prompt (#). Congratulations. You're now in single-user mode. I bet you've never seen your Mac screen look like that before. (I wish I could show you a screen shot of it, but as far as I can tell, it's not possible. And photos of it are ugly.)
Now that you're at the # XXXXX here's how to run fsck:
• 1. Type: "fsck - - y" (that's fsck-space-minus-y).
• 2. Press Return.
The fsck utility will blast some text onto your screen. If there's damage to your disk, you'll see a message that says:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
If you see this message--and this is extremely important--repeat Steps 1 and 2 again and again until that message no longer appears. It is normal to have to run fsck more than once -- the first run's repairs often uncover additional problems..
When fsck finally reports that no problems were found, and the # XXXXX reappears:
• 3. Type: "reboot" to restart,
• or type "exit" to start up without rebooting.
• 4. Press Return.
Your Mac should proceed to start up normally to the login window or the Finder.
On the fsck you typed ("fsck - - y") it looks like fsckSPACEminusSPACEminusSPACEy.

Is that accurate?
Says right there:

(that's fsck-space-minus-y)

fsckSPACEminusy or exactly this

fsck -y

OK. I'll try this. But if I screw this up -- and your message is no longer visible/accessible because I can't get the computer back on and email is no longer available, how do I get back in touch with you?
You should get an email with a link. Haven't you been getting them?
Yes, I have been getting emails throughout this conversation, but I've just been awaiting your answers here within this one window, not referring back to my email Inbox.

If I screw something up in the fsck run then I'm concerned that I won't be able to get back to you via email...

But if you think that's no problem, then my understanding is that I hit the power button on the back of my machine and then right away press the APPLE and S keys.
You can go to the link in the email it brings you back here. Don't hit the power button turn it of by shutting down under the Apple Logo
I got a symbol that read root# at the end of the text. When I entered the fsck -y, I got the response:

fsck_hfs: Volume is journaled. No checking performed. Use the -f option to force checking.

When I entered -f, it did not recognize the command.
Try fsck -f -y
OK, went through fsck two times, and second time the report was that the system appeared to be OK.
Ok now run software update under that Apple logo, then try Hotmail again with Safari and also Firefox.
Software Update indicated that there was "no new software" to run.

I got ONE message to take an Attachment with Firefox, at 9:59, but haven't been able to get any others to take an Attachment with Firefox. When I click on Attachments, there is no action at all.

Safari IS accepting Attachments, but is very balky, and keeps asking me now for "Keychain Password" (which I have no clue what it is -- when I enter the computer password, that isn't valid). In any case, I very rarely use Safari for email work.
What version of Firefox are you using?
It updates pretty regularly, often-times when I reboot. When I open the About Firefox window, it says something about 3.6.14, but that doesn't seem like the latest version I had updated to.

Where would I look to be more precise?
That is the current version. The Silverlight install usually fixes this VERY common problem with Hotmail. Try going here again and do the uninstall option then reinstall.

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx
Or try reinstalling Silverlight and then restart, beforwe going through all that
Also I noticed on my test Hotmail account the Attachments button and the others there don’t become active right away it takes about 20-30 seconds not sure why.
I uninstalled and reinstalled. What next?
Restart and try it again remmember there is a delay.
I restarted it at 10:51 CST and one message took an Attachment with Firefox. When you asked me again, I restarted the computer and Firefox and again at 10:59 ONE message took an Attachment, and then again no luck on subsequent attempts.

I have never experienced this "delay" effect before, but, even waiting 30 seconds and more, the Attachment button just remains inert.

I've been testing it here all along and it comes and goes here too. If I quit Firefox and start it again it seems to work. There is no nice way to say this.... Hotmail sucks for Mac users, it is a problem on their end and who knows if they will ever fix it.
So does this seem to be a glitch with a new version of Firefox?

I've been using Hotmail with my Mac for 4 - 5 years now and have had very few problems with it... This balky or nonexistent Attachment function is a brand new problem for me, just started last night.

So, are you bailing out? I'm getting pretty worn out on this end, nearing 11:30pm... Maybe I should turn in for the night and think about finding an open time to take the computer in to the Apple Store. Though if the problem is some combination of Hotmail/Mac/Firefox, then I'm not sure what the Apple geniuses could do that we haven't tried here.

So, are you stepping away from this -- for the night, anyway?
There is no more I can do, it is not the new version of Firefox, it is changes made by Microsoft on the Hotmail site. If the Apple Geniuses can fix it (though I doubt they would even try as it has nothing to do with Apple or their computers, it is a Microsoft problem) I would appreciate it if you would me know what they did. I have seen this many times and it does not seem to be getting fixed, and I have seen no perfect solution for it yet. As a last resort I might try uninstalling Silverlight and then maybe the site will not try to use it and default to the old system when the page loads.
Mike, Mac Medic
UN-installing the Silverlight seems to have cleared up the problem. I have now been able to send several test messages to myself with attachments, and the standard Browse message giving me full access to my files.

Maybe that's the ticket. Thanks for the help, anyway.
OK great so problem solved? I’ve tried that before and it did not always work.
Yes. The "File Upload" screen that comes up with the Attachment Browse button is very small and "old school"-looking -- compared to the full-screen upload File-Finder selection that had been showing in recent months/years -- but I'm able to attach things (for now) with no apparent problems.

That's OK for now. I'm sure somehow Silverlight will work its way back into my system, but the machine is capable of doing the work I need it to do, so that's fine.

Thanks for your help last night.
Microsoft always "innovating" with products that are copies of other companies real innovations... just years later. I would leave it off your computer if I were you. Thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic