Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I have a new nano ipod and it requires itunes version 10.

I have a new nano ipod and it requires itunes version 10. I have tried to donwload at least six times unsuccessfully. I have also tried downloadiing manually an equal amount of times. I have windows XP. Help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 6 years ago.

Ipod Specialist :

Hi

Ipod Specialist :

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Ipod Specialist :

What is the exact error message you get when you try to download itunes?

Customer:

It says an error has occured during the download process and to go to tools and click download to downloard manually. Then the same message repeats.

Ipod Specialist :

It is a strange error. Did you have itunes in this computer previously?

Customer:

yes with version 9

Ipod Specialist :

Let's try a complete uninstall and reinstall of itunes and its components

Customer:

how

Ipod Specialist :

Go to control panel and uninstall itunes, quicktime, apple software update, apple mobile device support and apple application support.

Customer:

can I do this and still remain connected to you

Ipod Specialist :

Yes.

Ipod Specialist :

You can minimize this page and do the uninstall from start > control panel > add or remove programs

Ipod Specialist :

how is it going?

Ipod Specialist :

Let me know once the uninstall is done

Customer:

I removed all excespt apple mobile device support. I get message fatal error during install. I tried twice.

Ipod Specialist :

Let's download the revo uninstaller from http://www.revouninstaller.com/ . Download the free/trial version. Don't buy it. After downloading and installing it, use that to uninstall apple mobile device support

Ipod Specialist :

done?

Customer:

ok, I downloaded revo it failed to remove the file. It says movile device applicaation support are mixed. It asked me to run the iinstall again. Revo says an error delete fiile failed code 5 access denied.

Ipod Specialist :

ok. When you open the revo uninstaller, are the other components listed there? such as itunes, quicktime, apple software update and apple mobile device support

Customer:

no just the apple mobile device support

Ipod Specialist :

ok.

Ipod Specialist :

Let's now restart the computer and try to install itunes from www.apple.com/itunes/download

Customer:

ok, how do I get back to you

Ipod Specialist :

You can bookmark this website and get back to me after the restart

Customer:

what is a bookmark and how do I do it

Ipod Specialist :

Which browser do you use? internet explorer/chrome/firefox etc?

Customer:

internet explorer

Ipod Specialist :

Click on the star(*) symbol to the upper right corner of the webpage.

Ipod Specialist :

Then click on add to favorites

Ipod Specialist :

Click on add.

Ipod Specialist :

Now the website is bookmarked. To use it after the restart, open internet explorer, click on the * sign again and the website will be listed there.

Customer:

I don't see a star symbol. I am still on the ipod specialist page

Ipod Specialist :

Hold down the alt key on the keyboard and then click on T

Ipod Specialist :

There, click on "add to favorites"

Ipod Specialist :

sorry

Ipod Specialist :

Hold down the alt key on the keyboard and then click on A

Ipod Specialist :

There, click on "add to favorites"

Ipod Specialist :

Once you restart the computer, try to install itunes from www.apple.com/itunes/download

Customer:

I am trying to install itunes now I will return when its done I hope

Ipod Specialist :

:)

Ipod Specialist :

how is it going?

Customer:

the install says a problem occurred in the Apple mobile device usb driver. There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

Ipod Specialist :

:(

Ipod Specialist :

I think the apple application support is interfering with the install. Let's try this article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926

Ipod Specialist :

To uninstall itunes, quicktime, apple software update, apple application support and apple mobile device support, download the msicuu2.exe from http://www.mediafire.com/?p2fwr363vkkkw9i . Once you download and install it, go to start / programs/ windows install cleanup and use it to uninstall items

Customer:

I don't know how but it appears the music I was trying to donwload to my ipod is now downloaded. If it srews up again I will try the mediafire cure.

Ipod Specialist :

did the itunes download?

Customer:

Yes, I don't know how but it did

Ipod Specialist :

that is strange. May be it is an issue with the apple mobile device or the apple application support. If you try using an app or something that requires those applications, may be the error can pop up. That time you may try the mediafire cure

Customer:

ok, I appreciate the help. If the problem happens again I will get back to you in the meantime I will accept your fee.

Ipod Specialist :

Thank you.

Ipod Specialist :

I appreciate your patience

Ipod Specialist :

and have a great day :)