Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am trying to build a spread sheet to organize my taxes (expenses

and income). I am...
I am trying to build a spread sheet to organize my taxes (expenses and income). I am a long-term HP used but now have a MAC and I am struggling with format. Can you recommend a tutorial for me?
2/5/2011
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering

What is not holding? and what are you trying to do when you right click on a cell?

Are you able to type formulas in the cells?

When I try to format a cell for text or number it does not always hold that format.
If I want to put in a date such as 1-5 ( leaving out the 2011 because my header includes the year: 2011 so I don't need to enter it. Also, How do I format the column to format to the right, left or center? The computer seems to want to add two numbers after the decimal even though I try to program it to omit the decimal.
I want to be able to omit $ signs if possible.

I see.

Ok to set the cells to show 1-5 for 1/5/2010, select that cell then go to Format > Cells, then click Custom from the Category list on the left pane, then type the following in the field on the right:

m-d

then click OK.

Now type a full date in that cell, i.e. 1/5/2010 and you will see the cell displaying 1-5

Try that and let me know so we can go to the next part of the question

Edited by John D on 2/5/2011 at 9:00 PM EST
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering

Thanks.

Now with regard to the decimals,select the cells or columns that you want to format without decimals, then go to Format > Cells, then click Number from the Category list on the left pane, then type 0 in the 'Decimal places' field on the right. Click OK

Let me know if you still need help with this

John D
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering