Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My OS X applications will not open since Friday. I can go on

line, click on anything in...
My OS X applications will not open since Friday. I can go on line, click on anything in the dock, and use ITunes, but not any OS X native files. I have OS 10.4.11, have used Tech Tool, console, Onyx, and Disk Utility.First go through said that "Reserved fields in catalog record have incorrect data, " and Reserved fields in catalog record have incorrect data." AFter Disc Utility none of this was see. Responses received have been "volume Hard Disc appears to be OK." Can you help me?
Lynne Rice
2/2/2011
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello Lynne, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Have you used Disk Utility to repair the hard drive when booted from the installation disk?
When you used TechTool did you rebuild the directories?
What version of MacOS X are you running?
I like TechTool but I use Disk Warrior more, it doesn't do as many things as TechTool but what it does it can't be beat.
I do recommend doing the TechTool while booted from the DVD/CD for TechTool or Disk Warrior.
Might give a SafeBoot a try.
To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Let me know what you think.
I booted from the Installation disc for Tiger to use Disc Utility.

I checked volumes and drives with TEch tool from its installation disc. I did not see the ability to rebuild directorites on it.

I have Mac OS 10.4.11 on an iMac G4

I will try the safe boot and Disk Warrior. Just checked on Disk Warrior. My chip is not fast enough for Disk Warrior 4. I will try to find version 3.
Lynne
I

I have Mac OS 10.4.11 on an iMac G4

Lynne
I
Do I try Safe Boot now or wait for other suggestions?

Lynne
You may have TechTool Deluxe that came with Applecare, it is a lite version and may not have that function.
I have full versions of everything I recommend so that I know what is going to happen when used.
Disk Warrior is my favorite. That iMac is becoming a rare bird, I have three of them with one having a bad logic board.
There are a few possibilities for this behavior, the one I like is directory corruption although it could be just needing an Archive and Install preserving network settings and user data.
This PDF explains how.
You sound like you know your way around the Mac, it does not sound like hardware this problem you have, more like it needs some TLC.
I have full version Tech Tool 4, which is the highest my iMac will work with.
I have ruled out hardware because it connects to the internet, opens iTunes, will open system preferences, use the printer, use both firefox and safari, opens adobe acrobat and text edit when needed. Will not open any other applications native to the MacOS or any third party software. I have not installed anything new in a year except for automatic updates of native software, adobe, etc.

I did not want to use complete install because I would lose my updates of things. I did an archive and install last year to refresh it.

Any other ideas to try before I accept?

Lynne
I do recommend the Disk Warrior to rebuild the directories if you can find the right version.
My copy of TechTool is out of date, it won't even open on my system. I was going to take screen shots to show you and I don't have it installed on my other Macs. My manual is version 3, really old.
Just look all over for directory maintenance, it is there.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Thank you for your help. I cross my fingers that the directories are the problem. I feel there is somewhere that it does not recognize me as the owner, so maybe that will help.
Try to stay above the snow and ice.

Lynne
It is snowing quite hard right now, not much wind but that comes later.
About time to go plow out the driveway again.
You stay warm and dry yourself.
If you can back things up then a scrape and pave may be the way to go.
If I can be of further service you know where I am.
Thank you.
Daniel, Mac Genius