Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have an intel MacBook Pro running 10.6.6. I uninstalled and

I have an intel MacBook Pro running 10.6.6. I uninstalled and re-installed Xcode (details at bottom).

When I create a new project (iOS Application, Window-based Application) and click on Build and Run without making any additional changes, it fails with the message "ibtool failed with exception: Interface Builder encountered an error communicating with the iPhone Simulator. If you choose to file a crash report or radar for this issue, please check Console.app for crash reports for "Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool" and include their contents in your crash report."

WhenI look in Console.app, it reports the error as:

--- begin ---
Failed to determine the value for systemColors of UIColor.

Exception name: IBAssertionFailure
Exception reason: Interface Builder encountered an error communicating with the iPhone Simulator. "Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool" (72320) failed to launch and exited with status 11. Please check Console.app for crash reports for "Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool" for further information.
Exception backtrace:
(null)
Exception info:(null)
---- end ----

I did some googling, and the only answer I came up with was "reinstall the OS". I'd like to find a way to get XCode working so that I can try my hand at iOS development without actually having to reinstall the OS. I'm fine with reinstalling software (e.g. I uninstalled and reinstalled XCode to no avail).

Thanks!

Developer Information:

Version: 3.2 (10M2423)
Location: /Developer
Applications:
Xcode: 3.2.5 (1760)
Interface Builder: 3.2.5 (823)
Instruments: 2.7 (3017)
Dashcode: 3.0.2 (333)
SDKs:
Mac OS X:
10.5: (9L31a)
10.6: (10M2423)
iPhone OS:
4.2: (8C134)
iPhone Simulator:
3.2: (7W367a)
4.0: (8A400)
4.1: (8B117)
4.2: (8C134)
Have you checked your drive?

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Didn't think to check that. I'm using FileVault for my home directory if that makes a difference. Anyway, it tells me the disk needs to be repaired, and wants me to start with another disk. I'll have to find another disk, so it may take a bit. I'll check back in after I get the disk repaired.
OK
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I repaired both the permisisions and the disk. That didn't fix the problem. I'm re-downloading XCode + the iOS SDK just in case.
Did they need repair? I did not say that would fix it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They did need repair (both the permissions and the disk). Since my last comment here, I uninstalled XCode via the uninstall-dev-tools script, removed the /Developer folder (actually just renamed it) rebooted, installed a fresh download of XCode + the iOS SDK, rebooted again, and fired up XCode. The problem wasn't fixed.

I know you didn't tell me to do those other things, but I thought they might help.
I would also try to reinstall the last major update since we don’t know how long your drive was corrupted.

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1349
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Re-installation did not help.
You might have to reinstall 10.6 in that case.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will you mind if I open this up to other experts then? The main point of my question was that I'd really like to do this without reinstalling 10.6.
It is not as painful as it seems it is very quick. That is my suggestion so if you think you know better then yes I will opt out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, maybe I was overestimating the pain involved in re-installing the OS. Do I need a lot of free space on the disk? Does it matter if I have FileVault installed for my home directory? Is it likely to delete my data?

If it's relatively safe and painless, give me the quick walkthrough and I'll give it a shot.
Filevault should be fine but you should always have a backup regardless.

Put the system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair. (I know you already did this but you should do it again just in case)Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install. Restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey,

Sorry for the delay. I was out of town for the weekend and returned to find my house broken into. It'll be another day or so before I can get everything properly backed up to try re-installing the OS. If that fixes the problem, I'll obviously pay you.
OK please let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wow, I completely forgot about this in the wake of the break in. I signed up for one of the popular cloud backup services. As soon as they're done backing up my computer, I'll go ahead and re-install the OS. Many apologies for the delay!
OK great
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wow. So, since I use this machine for research, it took a *long* time before I was able to re-install everything. Having done that, I can now build a simple iOS "Hello World" app.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for the delay.
OK great.