Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

what should i do if my mac says i have to restart it every

Customer Question
time i turn it on?...
what should i do if my mac says i have to restart it every time i turn it on?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
2/2/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer replied 6 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer

By the sounds of things you have what is known as a kernel panic, usually this is where your OSX install or a driver in your system is damaged so the machine panics as it cannot power up the hardware device.

In very rare situations this can also be caused by a failing piece of hardware, however it is unusual.

To try and fix this can you put your OSX disk in your machine then shut it down.

Once it is off can you then power it back up and then press and hold down the C key on your keyboard till you see the apple load wheel under the apple icon and then let go.

Your Mac should open to the installer menu and when it does can you then choose English from the menu and click the right arrow.

Next can you click the Utilities menu on the top toolbar and choose Disk Utility to open it

When it opens can you then choose the First Aid tab and select your OSX disk on the left

You should then have the option to verify disk and repair disk, If you could run a verify permissions first then run a verify disk then run a permission repair and a disk repair, If the disk repair gives you an error can you run it a second time.

Once that is done can you then restart your Mac and let me know if it will now boot cleanly and run correctly.

Thanks

i don't have the CD, what should I do? I'm panicking!!
i have another cd in the dvd drive, how do i get it out??

Ok,

Lets try a different tack.

Can you power off your Mac and then wait 5 seconds then power it on and as soon as you let go of the power button can you press and hold down the Command and the S key on your keyboard.

Your machine should open to a terminal screen and when it does can you then try typing "/sbin/fsck -fy" without quotes and then hit enter and once your drive is checked you should get a success message, If you get an error message can you run the command a second time and once it has finished can you then type reboot and hit enter and see if it will then startup cleanly and let me know.

Thanks

To get a disk out of the drive can you power the machine off then press and hold down the mouse button and power the computer up and keep the mouse button held till the disk comes out.

If that does not work we can try a terminal command so let me know.

Thanks

it won't let me type anything

Ok,

Are you on a bluetooth or wireless keyboard?

If so can you use a wired board?

Let me know

Thanks

its a laptop

Oh,

Can you power the machine off then try to eject the disk with the mouse held down like i posted and let me know if the disk pops out.

Then can you shut down again and then wait 5 seconds and power it up and immediately can you press and hold down the Option key on your keyboard and keep it held till the Apple boot menu hopefully opens up and let me know if they both or if either one worked.

That way we can see if the keyboard and mouse are operational.

Thanks

ok, so the disk poped out, and perfect, the apple boot menu appeared, what do i do now?

Great,

Can you unplug your machine and pull the battery and then press the power button for a full 30 seconds and then replace the battery and the power cord and then try to boot it up and let me know if it will power up cleanly.

If not can you try the Command+S boot again and let me know what happens

Thanks

i didn't understand can you explain with more detail please, or call me XXXXXXXXXX
by the way, i tried doing the command+S thing and i still cant type anything

Ok,

So it will let you boot to single user but you cannot type the command, is that correct?

If so can you try carefully typing /sbin/fsck -fy and then hitting enter and then let me know if anything happens or not even if the characters do not appear on screen as you type.

If not do you have another Mac and a firewire cable?

Or do you have another disk for a different Mac?

Thanks

nothing happens, and no i dont have another mac and a firewire cable.
it will let me turn on the computer pressing option, but it won't let me type anything when i turn it on pressing command S, i have the mac CD, is there a way to erase all my computers data and just start from cero?

Ok,

Can you calrify what you mean by you have a Mac cd?

What does it say on the label?

Thanks

MAC OS X INSTALL DISC

Ok,

Sorry, I messed up and did not clarify, That is the OSX CD I was talking about in the first post.

So can you put your Mac CD in your machine then shut it down.

If not can you then boot from the Mac CD one more time by holding the C key down as you power up and then can you try to perform an Archive and install if you wish to keep your files or if you can afford to loose it all can you perform an Erase and install and just follow the prompts then let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks

it won't do any of that, the apple sign appears and then it just tells me to restart it!!!! Please help im desperate

Ok,

With the disk in the machine can you power it up and then press and hold the option key as soon as you let go of the power button and then when the boot menu comes up can you click the CD icon and then click the right hand arrow and let me know if it will then boot to the Mac CD.

If not can you tell me if you have anything at all other than the power cable connected to your machine such as a network cable, printer, external drive or anything?

Thanks

PLEASE BE MORE SPECIFIC, i did that and my hard disk came out with an arrow below it, everytime i try clicking it it'll just tell me to restart my computer

Ok,

If you put the Mac CD disk into the machine and then try to boot holding the option key do you then see the icon for the CD in your boot manager along side your Hard disk?

If this works what you should see is the hard drive icon and the CD icon so you can then click the CD icon and click the right hand arrow to choose to boot from the CD.

Does that make sense?

It doesn't come out, that's the problem my computer won't read it

Damn,

Is there any other equipment connected to your machine such as a printer, network cable or anything else?

Nope

Ok,

Do you have any other Mac disks or do you know anyone you can borrow a disk from so we can see if it is an issue with the CD itself or if it may be the drive that is having the issue?

Thanks

No, not really

Ok,

I know you dont want to hear this and I am really sorry to say this but this is a catch 22 situation and I am totally out of ideas, The issue is that if we cannot run any diagnostics or tools from the hard drive or the CD drive then there is very little that we can do beyond this point, There are tools such as Disk Warrior we could download to an external drive or CD and use, however if we cannot boot to the external drive or to the CD there is no point and it would be a waste of money to purchase them.

To be 100% honest with you unless you had another Mac CD we could try and boot from to repair or reinstall all I can suggest at this point is to take it to your local Apple store or Apple certified repair shop and see if they can do anything to help.

If you like I can opt out and see if anyone has any ideas, But I would doubt it as there are no tools available to us as you cannot use a prompt or boot the CD.

Let me know if you want me to opt out for another expert.

Thanks

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
hey eric, sorry to bother you, so i turned my computer on with the mac install disc and it appeard on the screen with an arrow pointing up below it, WHAT SHOULD I DO???

Ok,

Can you click on the CD then see if a right hand arrow appears so you can then click the right hand arrow and let me know if it will then boot to the Language selection screen?

Thanks

the computer just restarted itself

Ok,

Well seeing as you relisted the question and said I posted an inaccurate answer despite my best efforts, I will opt out and see if another expert will pick this up for you.

Thanks

ok
Relist: Answer quality.