Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I just purchased an IMAC G5 and cant get Skype to download

Customer Question

I just purchased an IMAC G5 and can't get Skype to download a usable copy. Also, I can't seem to find Samsung SCX 4623F driver that will work on the MAC. What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to install some of these other discs first, iWork,iLife,XLeopard?

Ken
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OSX
10.5.6
Processor: 1.6GHz Power PCG5
Memory 1.5GB DDR SDRAM
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK if Verify Disk was Ok and Repair Permissions ran go to the Apple logo and run Software Update
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OSX
10.5.6
Processor: 1.6GHz Power PCG5
Memory 1.5GB DDR SDRAM

The verify was OK. The repair is still running. Should I stop the repair? It is still running!
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
No
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I'll let it keep going. Will it run all day?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
No half hour tops
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Stuff is scrolling by. It says estimated time: 3 minutes. But it's been longer than that already and the "migrain" bar is only halfway across.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Thta's ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, the Repair Disk Permissions has finished and I finally got home at 5:00pm. When I go to Software update it lists several software programs. But the Skype and Samsung printer driver are not there. I'll just have to try again now that we've done all this falderal. Thanks for helping, I think.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
You should be able to install printer driver and Skype now good luck. Make sure you get the latest drivers from their website not the disk.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much.

Ken
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK bye, let me know if you have any problems