Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My mac was hacked, apple support hung up on me twice when I

Customer Question
tried to find out how...
My mac was hacked, apple support hung up on me twice when I tried to find out how to get rid of the ,I think, malware/spyware. The hacker took over my contact list and sent out emails requesting funds to be sent to me in Wales!!! Yahoo helped me change my account settings and restored my contact list, The hacker still has control of my facebook account, and I can't cancel my facebook account. I get a pop up that asks to sync my contacts now, but the only option is to sync now or sync later. I am so disappointed in apple support. Can you rid me of these problems?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
2/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 6 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Apple will not be able to help you with Yahoo mail. Can’t you just change your Yahoo password?
I did do that with Yahoo however I can't get out of facebook, Yahoo says that I have to do that through facebook and when I try, they say my password XXXXX XXXXX even though I have just signed in using that very password.
I also have a pop up asking me to sync my contacts, it's not from yahoo or apple. The tabs to the upper left are inoperable. The only thing I can click on are "sync now", "sync later", "or more information"
I believe that I also have malware/spyware on the computer. I hope that you can rid me of that problem and or recommend an antiviral program, pop ups are annoying!!!
Thanx Elizabeth
Do you have MobileMe?

First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Yes I have mobile me, the system version is 10.6.6, processor 2.4 GHz, memory is1GB800MHzDDR2 SDRAM
OK that is what is asking you to sync contacts just let it sync. Let me know after you have run Disk Utility
Mike, Mac Medic