Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi Daniel Bought a router from sabaia technology for use with

Customer Question
Hi Daniel Bought a router from...
Hi Daniel
Bought a router from sabaia technology for use with strongvpn. Problem is that when we try to bridge it to my airport time machine (giving it a static ip address) it won't allow the web through. Seems somethinqg in airport is blocking it, but we can't figure what. Have been working with the guy who owns sabaia. Any ideas?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
2/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 6 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Why did you throw a router into the mix? When you say Time Machine do you mean Time Capsule?

I am trying to access US sites. In order to do so I am using a service called StrongVPN which is installed in a router. Essentially, I need two routers, one for local sites and one for US sites which I cannot access unless I am in America - StrongVPN creates a presence for me in in the US as their servers are there.

At this point I have two wireless networks and both are working. The first, Airport Extreme Time Capsule is in bridge mode and receives IP addresses from my modem/router. The second, is a Cisco Router with Virtual VPN installed. I have set it to give out its own IP addresses - the idea being that anything which goes through it will go through the vpn. However I am missing something, as it is assigning addresses from the modem/router instead of the subset which I want it to 198.162.0.230 until 198.162.0.254. I can't find the setting which will force all connections through it to go through it's subset of IPs. They go through the lower IP numbers and as a result miss the vpn.

Hope I am clear!
Ok, I am handing you off to a networking expert. I am good but I think you need someone better than I am at this.
Please stand by.
By the way I am in upstate NY USA so you can reach the US.
Hi Daniel,

There's no problem in me accessing regular US sites of course. The issue is accessing sites which have been specifically blocked to those residing outside the US. For this I use a company called StrongVPN which through vpn gives me a "presence" inside the US.

The issue here is that I need to be able to easily switch between the direct connection and vpn connection. To do this I have two wireless routers each giving out it's own IP addresses. At least that's the theory. The problem is that the router that is meant to give out the IP addresses which will enable me to connect to the VPN is giving out regular IP addresses.

At any rate, I am waiting for the other expert to contact me.

Ben
I have never had that problem so I don't quite understand, you are trying sites from outside the US that are in the US?
Yes, such as Netflix, etc. I can access them using Netshade which hides your IP and pretends you have a US IP. But this has to be done on a device by device basis. A better solution, and one I am employing now, is to have the router set up a vpn to a server in the US. It then appears as if I am in the US. I have this working already.
Sounds complicated. So the problem is between the TC and the router?
Have you looked here? My network has most of what you have with the exception of the extra VPN so I have to feel my way.
You might try the discussions or communities as they are called now.

Daniel, Mac Genius
I will try to clarify as simply as possible either for you or another expert. Thanks for your patience.

This is how it looks now:
Internet -> Netgear CableModem/Router
NAT and DHCP served by this Netgear. Range is 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.228

1 port of Netgear CableModem -> TC
Another port of Netgear CableModem -> Cisco Router with internal VPN (this netgear also serves DHCP with range 192.168.0.229 - 192.168.0.250

Depending on the iP of my local machine I will be connected either directly or via VPN.

Airport is turned on in both the TC and the Cisco. I assumed that as long as I was on the TC network I would be assigned (via dhcp) with an IP below 228 and if I was on the Cisco network I would be assigned an IP above 229.

However this doesn't occur. No matter what network I am on, I get an IP lower than 228 which means that I am connected locally rather than through vpn.

I therefore have no choice other than to assign static IP numbers to my devices. I would rather use dhcp but don't know how to make it work.

Woops, I pressed Accept by mistake.

This is how it looks now:
Internet -> Netgear CableModem/Router

1 port of Netgear CableModem -> TC

Let me look into this some more and I will get back to you tomorrow. You can get a refund if you like.
doesn't matter, you have helped me a lot in the past, and I appreciate your time.
Thank you.
Daniel, Mac Genius