Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I received error -2125 when I tried to publish my iMovie project…

I received error -2125 when...
I received error -2125 when I tried to publish my iMovie project (approximately 58 minutes long - large size file selected when imported from video camera) to iDVD. I have a MacBook running system 10.5.8 and iMovie '09 v.8.0.6 (821). iDVD is '09 version. I made a short test iMovie project with chapters and was able to publish it to iDVD and burn the DVD that worked when played on a DVD player. I can't find any info on error -2125. Can you help? Thanks.

Gary Kodel [email protected]
1/6/2011
Joseph
Joseph, Mac Software Engineer

Joseph :

Hello, We will try to help you.

Joseph :

Try to cut the project into 3 or 4 parts. They try to publish.

Joseph :

As per my research its not an iMovie error its a QuickTime error.

JACUSTOMER-5jmy9f81- :

I'll try it. How do I split the project into smaller parts?

Joseph :

Clips are split as you suggest by choosing the split command from the edit menu.

JACUSTOMER-5jmy9f81- :

I'll try this. It may take a while. I'll let you know if it works or not. Thanks.

Joseph :

Okay

Joseph :

If didn't work try the methods in the below link to split it.

http://rtbd.wordpress.com/2009/04/25/how-to-split-a-clip-into-two-separate-events-in-imovie-09/

Joseph :

If you need any further assistance, feel free to ask. If satisfied click ACCEPT to close the session.

JACUSTOMER-5jmy9f81- :

I am not splitting an event. I will need to split this one project into 3 or 4 smaller projects. Is there an easy way to do this? If not, then I will have to manually create the 4 smaller projects from my event clips. Thanks.

Joseph :

These are the only way for iMovie 9. You try to create 4 smaller projects. That will be easier for you.

JACUSTOMER-5jmy9f81- :

I tried to publish a 28 minute iMovie project to iDVD and I received 2 warnings. The first said that I'm running out of hard disk space-but I have 5 GB left. Then the second warning was the same as the original warning showing the error -2125. Do I need to make the iMovie projects even smaller or is there some other problem? This error is a quick time error? What do I do to resolve it? Thanks.

Joseph :

I will refer another expert as I am going out now.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello Gary, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
That is indeed a problem with QT, make sure you are up to date with QT and repair permissions, this can make a difference.

iMovie was meant for short movies, 59 minutes is not short. It can do it but with issues.
I use iMovie HD for longer projects like this, it handles them much better, export the whole movie in Quicktime as either a .mov or .dv stand alone then drag or import that into iMovie HD.
iMovie HD is a free download here.
This is the PDF instructions for it.
I have found the iMovie 09 to be less than satisfactory for any thing longer than 5-10 minutes of movie, it works very well for that.
Final Cut it good for long things but is limited in many respects, I still use it on occasion.
You might want to upgrade to iLife 11, iMovie has gotten better and more like iMovie HD.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks. So, after I export my whole 58 minute movie in Quicktime and import it into iMovie HD, how do I burn it to a DVD? Do I publish it to iDVD? Will it play on a DVD player or computer? Thanks.
Thanks. So, after I export my whole 58 minute movie in Quicktime and import it into iMovie HD, how do I burn it to a DVD? Do I publish it to iDVD? Will it play on a DVD player or computer?
I could not install the iMovie HD software because it stated that I first need iMovie HD 6.0.1. Can you send me this software?
Thanks.
It will indeed play on commercial DVD players.Download iMovie HD 6(free) That should have been the whole thing, I will take a look at it.
It will go to iDVD just as it is supposed to from iMovie 09. iDVD won't change, if it still gives you issues then the next thing is to trash the plists.
To get to iDVD there are two ways to do this, one is to share from iMovie and the other is to open iDVD apart from iMovie and drag the QT movie in.
First locate the iMovie where you have it saved to and right click it to show Package contents.
graphic
Once there then select Shared movies,
graphic
graphic
Then drag what you find there into the main iDVD window. There it is with all chapter markers and embellishments intact.
I also suggest making disk images before committing a DVD for burning, it can save making coasters and you can make multiple copies quite easily.
The iMovie HD6 link is for an update only. I can't install it because I don't have iMovie HD original software. Can you send me this?
I'm working on it.
I think I have it, you will need Stuffit to open it (should be on your Mac now).
I tried to open the iMovie HD package, but I got the following warning: "The structure of the archive is damaged (Error # XXXXX)." I tried opening the file directly with expander, but it would not do it. I have Stuffit 12.02. I reinstalled the Stuffit 12.02 software and restarted my computer, but it still gives me the same error message. Is the problem with your file or my Stuffit software? Thanks.
I think it may be my file, I will try it again. It is no longer available for free any where but here if it works. If you can find a copy of iLife 06 you may be better served.
I will let you know when to look.
Thanks for continuing to try to find the software. Would iMovie '11 be able to directly publish my project to the updated iDVD '11? Would I need to export it first as a QuickTime movie? When assessing the maximum size of the file to be shared with iDVD, do I look at the size of the iMovie project or do I add up the event file sizes that comprise the project? The project size is much smaller than the sum of the events that it contains. What is the maximum file size that can be published to iDVD to burn 1 DVD? Thanks.

If I need to purchase iMovie HD where would I purchase it? I did not see it on the Apple web site.
The only place I know is Amazon and eBay.
iMovie 11 is a real improvement over 09 or 08, the options remain the same. iMovie 11 is better suited for a large project if iMovie HD can't be had.
iDVD was not touched in iLife 11 but it worked pretty well before.
You might try trashing the iDVD and iMovie plists, they will make new ones, it won't affect your project but may improve the applications behavior.
graphic
graphic

Daniel, Mac Genius
I will give this a try. Thanks. I'll get back with you.
Standing by.
Daniel, Mac Genius