Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a 500MB Iomega external hard drive that keeps dropping

Customer Question

I have a 500MB Iomega external hard drive that keeps "dropping off" the desktop on my 27 inch iMac. A dialog box appears saying that the drive was not properly removed/ejected. It happens anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes after I plug in the driver (USB). Any ideas? I did erase the drive and run a Verify and Repair from disk utility.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Sounds like the problem is with the USB Cable. Do you have another USB Cable to try ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Already tried USB cable switch, and used another usb port.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Which Mac is this ? iMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
iMac 27 inch
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
We can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac and also reset the System Management Controller.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Reset SMC :
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5-8 seconds.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Attach the computers power cable.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Now connect your hard drive and see if it drops off. Let me know if that didn't worked.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How will I get back in contact with you. I do not wish to accept answer unless the "fix" works. It may take from 5 minutes to an hour or so to see if all is OK.?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Just add a bookmark of this page, so you can come back here later.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
About a month ago
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Have you did anything like software/firmware update prior to this problem ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just Mac regular updates---iTunes, Safari, etc plus an OS operating system update
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Already answered via your email--just Mac regular updates--iTunes, Safari, and a OS Operating System update.

Also, after trying your fixes, I went back to your bookmarked page and had to enter a credit card info again. I do not want to be charged twice if I accept or do not accept your solution.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...What version of Mac OS X are you using now ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
10.6.5
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
10.6.5

I now have two browser windows opened and connected to your page. Can I shut down one of them??
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Yes, and you're on the right page. You won't be charged twice. Just reply in here and don't post reply as a new question.

We can try to reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling Mac OS X will fix the problem unless your hard drive is failing. Insert the Mac OS X 10.6 disc 1, restart your Mac and hold down the C key on your keyboard. This will boot into the disc, once it booted into disc then follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall your OS X. Also, this won't delete any of your files...

Let me know how it goes...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already did that 2 days ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
I think your hard disk is failing. Do you have a another Mac ? Can you check your hard disk on different Mac ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. All else works fine on my iMac. I am answering "not satisfied" but will you contact me via email in a few days to see if a reinstall, again, of my Mac operation system works? I did run disk utility from the original OS disk and it stated that the hard drive (internal Mac) was fine.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
The question will close automatically after 1 or 2 days and i'll not be able to reply back to you unless you reply first. Try your hard disk with a different Mac and that will tell us whether the problem is with your Mac or with hard disk. Since i couldn't solve your problem, you don't have to pay.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Ashik. I'll try you suggestion but do not have another Mac.

Carl heineck
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
You can try your friends's computer.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I get out of your website and this page without accepting answer??? All I get when I go to 'Not Satisfied" are more question options. How do I confirm not satisfied????
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
You don't have to confirm, just close this page.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome !