Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

my eMAC power PC G4 (1.1) keeps freezing! What should I check How

my eMAC power PC G4...
my eMAC power PC G4 (1.1) keeps freezing! What should I check?
How should I check it? Can you advise me?
Thank you!
I am [email protected]
1/2/2011
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
There could be a couple of things going on here.
I suggest repairing permissions, a pram reset and maybe a safe boot.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Those are what we start with and move on from that.
Let me know.
I followed your instructions, but my computer still freezes.
Most times when I try to get my, earthlink, mail.
If you stay off the internet it is OK?
Do you have the original installation disks?
If so insert the disk and restart, hold down the letter D as soon as the screen turns black. This boots into Hardware test and will look like this,
graphic
Run the extended test and tell me what it finds.
Freezes when i'm off the internet.
I ran the Apple hardware test. It did not detect a hardware failure.
Says, problum may be software related.
If permissions didn't work, pram reset didn't work and a safe boot didn't do anything that I suggest booting from the installation disk, running disk utility and repairing the hard drive.
Another alternative is using a utility like Disk Warrior DiskWarrior 4, this is a much stronger and powerful utility man Disk Utility.
It rebuilds directories, repairs file structures and checks all of your volumes for problems. It is also $100 but in my opinion well worth the price.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Daniel, Mac Genius