Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am trying to move my photos to my external hard drive. I

Customer Question
have figured out how to...
I am trying to move my photos to my external hard drive. I have figured out how to put my new photos on there but not my old ones. I look for iphoto library under "pictures" but don't find it. It is under "applications" but when I try to open it from there or move it, it comes up blank. I can still see my old photos by holding down option while I select iphoto and choosing my shared folder.....any help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 6 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Are you moving the photos or entire iPhoto library ?

Yes, I am trying to move the entire library. I initially only created a new library on the external hardrive but since I have "events" in the old one that I want to include photos from all of my photos I thought I should move the entire thing. If you have a better idea than that, I would be open to that too.

Otherwise, I have already created a place on the hardrive that I downloaded my new pictures to, but I want to move the entire thing over.....

I followed the directions I found online but they all say "find iphoto in Pictures" and I don't find mine there. I find it under "applications" of course but when I move my "iphoto library" that I find there, it seems to be blank.

You can combine both Libraries. Move the old library to your external hard disk and import pictures of new library to old library.
  1. Close iPhoto and locate your Original iPhoto Library.
  2. Your iPhoto library is normally saved on the Pictures folder.
  3. Open your Pictures folder and select the iPhoto Library.
  4. Drag the iPhoto Library folder to the external hard disk
  5. Hold down the Option key on the keyboard and open iPhoto. Keep the Option key held down until you are prompted to create or choose an iPhoto library.
  6. Click Choose Library.
  7. Locate and select the old iPhoto Library from your external hard disk.

Now, you can move the Pictures from your new library to the old Library. Hide iPhoto (minimize it) and goto the newly created iPhoto Library. Then right click (control+click) on the library and choose "Show Package Contents". You can see a folder named "Originals". Drag the Originals folder onto the iPhoto icon in your Dock. This imports photos into the old library. Let me know how it goes...

Best Regards,
You haven't addressed the fact that my iphoto library is not under my "pictures" but only under "applications". The things you have said to try, I have already done.....with the iphoto library I find in "applications".....and it ends up moving without any pictures - I do see my mobilme galleries there however
Are you sure you are moving the iPhoto Library not iPhoto application ?
Well, it says iphoto library and there is also an icon that says "iphoto" that I am not moving
What version of iPhoto are you using ?

iphoto 09

Move the iPhoto Library from your Mac to external hard disk, make sure you move it not copy it. Then locate it on iPhoto. Let me know once you did that...
How can I make sure I am moving it and not copying it?
If you Move it, you'll no longer have a iPhoto Library on your internal drive. You can copy it to the external drive and trash from internal drive. Make sure you successfully copied to external drive before trashing from internal drive.
I have done what you are saying repeatedly. The problem is when I open it on the external hard drive, it is empty. There are no pictures except for my mobileme.....t
After you moved it, you have to locate the moved library in iPhoto. Close iPhoto and Hold down the Option key on the keyboard and open iPhoto. Keep the Option key held down until you are prompted to create or choose an iPhoto library. Click Choose Library and the locate your iPhoto Library in the external drive. That will load your iPhoto Library. Let me know if that didn't worked...
I have already done that. Is it possible that my iphoto is too large or that i need to wait longer for it to load or something? I am going out for a few hours and will check back this afternoon. thanks,
It doesn't matter how large is your library, iPhoto will load. Download and install iPhoto and it'll show the loading progress. My last suggestion, rebuild your iPhoto Library with this application, iPhoto Library Manager (use the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Please follow the instructions in here to rebuild your iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/Help/rebuilding%20a%20corrupted%20iphoto%20library.html

Let me know if that didn't worked..

My internet is off and on due to problems in my area so it is hard for me to reply. I'm not sure you are getting my issue. When I hold down "option" and iphoto I see several iphoto library choices. Some of them have nothing in them (except my mobileme galleries) one of them (which seems to be the shared one, has the pictures from my iphoto library that is on my computer, another one is my new iphoto library on the external hardrive.

A. What should I do with the "libraries" that contain nothing?

B. How can I find the real library (the one that is coming from the shared user) somewhere that I can move it?

Also, when I click iphoto library in spotlight, the only one that comes up that actually has pictures in it is entitled "recovered photos"

Any help with this?

Thanks for your help but in all honesty, you didn't tell me anything other than what I had read by googling the basic issue. I think I have figured out what the issue might be....my iphoto library is actually in my "shared" folder as my son and I both use it. What I was moving previously was just a new version rather than the actual photos. Thanks though
Glad you sorted it out !
Ashik, Mac Technician