Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

can you use facetime on the new iod touch to make skyoe ca

Customer Question
lls?...
can you use facetime on the new iod touch to make skyoe ca lls?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2010
Mac Support Specialist: OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer replied 7 years ago
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

we have lots of friends who can make skype video calls but hardly anybody who uses facetime

OSXpert :

What devices are they using to make skype calls?

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

i'm getting my wife a new ipod touch with faacetime

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

PC;s and android phones

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

are you there?

OSXpert :

yes, sorry...had to use the bathroom

OSXpert :

Unfortunately, Skype on iOS doesn't currently support video calls

OSXpert :

You'll have to stick with Face Time until Skype releases a version for iOS that supports video calls

OSXpert :

Have you heard of Fring?

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

so ... the answer is no? fring???

OSXpert :

No to skype -- it currently doesn't allow video calls on iOS (iOS is the operating system that runs on iPods and iPhones)

Fring may be a good alternative for you since it's available for many different types of phones (iOS, Android, Symbian, etc..)

OSXpert :

Fring is an application that allows you to send chats, make video calls, send instant messages, etc... You'll find it in both the Apple store and the Android Marketplace

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

will fring on an Ipod touch do video calls?

OSXpert :

It sure will

OSXpert :

Here is a link to it in the iTunes store...

OSXpert :

http://itunes.apple.com/app/fring/id290948830?mt=8

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

just not skype?

OSXpert :

It's probably the best alternative for you until Skype adds video chat support for iOS

OSXpert :

No, it's not Skype

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

how does fring work

OSXpert :

It's pretty simple -- you just need to download the App from iTunes.

OSXpert :

Once downloaded, you'll create an account and be able to video chat with your friends and family who also have fring on their mobile device

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

android phones??

OSXpert :

It works the same way on android phones. Simply download the app, create an account and you'll be able to start sending chats to other fring users. Here is their site for Android...

OSXpert :

http://www.fring.com/android/

OSXpert :

Have you ever used an Instant Messenger to chat with someone on the internet? Using a computer?

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

no

OSXpert :

Have you used skype on a computer?

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

yes

OSXpert :

Okay -- it works the exact same way. You'll have a buddy list (list of contacts) that will show you who is currently online. You'll be able to directly contact people on your buddy list and make calls to them

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

is one IM program the best?

OSXpert :

Or send chat messages -- exactly like you do with Skype

OSXpert :

I personally like Fring. It allows you to chat using Google Talk, Fring, Yahoo etc... As well as the fact that it supports video calls to other fring users. There really isnt a chat program out there that has as many features as Fring

JACUSTOMER-jec6k5im- :

OK I guess that's all I need to know for now -- thanks

OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
OSXpert
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer