Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

How do I start my macpro, the screen stays dark How do I reboot

Customer Question
How do I start my...
How do I start my macpro, the screen stays dark?How do I reboot the thing ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
12/19/2010
Mac Support Specialist: OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer replied 6 years ago
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

yes I am

OSXpert :

Good deal. Can you describe your situation in more detail for me?

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

Yesterday I shut down my computer as it was low in battery.this morning I plugged it in and turned it on and nothing comes onthe screen but I ccan hear the drive turn.What the ?

OSXpert :

Hmm, let's try resetting the SMC first.

OSXpert :

Remove the battery and the AC power plug

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

ok

OSXpert :

Then, hold the power button for 10 seconds. Release the button, put the battery back in and re-apply the power plug. Then try to power the mac back on

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

did as said,still no image

OSXpert :

hmmm, but you can hear the drives/fan spinning?

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

yes

OSXpert :

Okay, can you still hear the fans/drives spinning now?

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

yes

OSXpert :

okay, are the lights on the keyboard lit up?

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

no

OSXpert :

cover the photocell on the front of the laptop (small black dot next to the screen release button)

OSXpert :

cover it with your finger and see if the keyboard lights come on

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

no

OSXpert :

Also, when you power the machine on, do you hear the chime noise at startup?

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

i changed the drive a week ago and everything has been fined so far.Could it be that the keyboard is unplugged and that affects the screen ?I do hear the start up noise when I turn it on.

OSXpert :

I doubt it's an issue with the keyboard, I was only trying to see if the computer is actually on, and just not displaying anything...

OSXpert :

Did you disconnect the LCD when you installed the hard drive? The cable for the LCD would be a very thin ribbon cable

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

yes I did and placed it back delicately until it cliked in position.I followed the OWC tutorial and everything was fine

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

the last thing I did was upgrade software in my apple router

OSXpert :

hmmm, and you're sure it latched appropriately? It sounds like the LCD is disconnected...

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

yes i did but i realised that today I tried to reboot it with the snow leopard disk not avail but the disk is still in and won't eject.maybe we should get it out first ?it slipt my mind, sorry

OSXpert :

one more thing -- it may be the back light on the LCD. Try holding the screen at various angles underneath a light source -- see if you can see an image on the screen. It will be very faint and difficult to see, so it may be difficult to see, but try to thoroughly check and see if there is an image on the screen

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

no results

OSXpert :

okay -- let's try ejecting the disc. Holding the eject button on the keyboard isn't working I take it?

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

no it's not

OSXpert :

Okay -- hold the power button until the machine powers off...

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

done

OSXpert :

power your MBP back on and hold the mouse button, see if it ejects the disc

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

what is the mouse button ( i am french canadian...)and where is it?

OSXpert :

it's the button that you use to click things -- located below the track pad

OSXpert :

bouton de la souris

OSXpert :

does that make sense?

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

great french but no it does not eject the disk.i can hear run

OSXpert :

okay, power off again

OSXpert :

a couple more things to try...

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

ok

OSXpert :

Power the Mac on and immediately hold Command+Option+P+R

OSXpert :

hold the buttons until you hear the bootup chime 3 times

OSXpert :

then release

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

which one is command exactly and option, don't want to do a mistake

OSXpert :

they should actually say "Comman" and "Option" on them. The Command key has a little clover leaf or an apple on it. Option is the key next to it (not space bar)

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

did so but i think i know now what is the boot up chime and i am not hearing it.nothing is happening

OSXpert :

okay, power off

OSXpert :

then power back on and let's make sure you still hear the chime

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

no i don'hear it ,just the disk starting(thas what confused me before)

OSXpert :

Bummer. We've done about all we can without having to get into the hardware. At this point, there are two potential issues.

Initially I thought it might just be an issue with the LCD, either a burned out back light or the ribbon cable had become disconnected. That said, you may want to take a look at the LCD connection and confirm that it hasn't jostled loose.

However, after hearing that the chime is no longer making noise and the overall strange behavior of the machine, it may be a defective motherboard.

Were you wearing a static wrist strap when you replaced the hard drive?

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

no but I followed carefully OWC tutorial and was working on a concrete surface with a towel under the computer , the counter being on a wood floor.plus it has been working flawlessly for over a week.

OSXpert :

Well, it could just be a fluke -- but it sounds like an issue with your motherboard. At this point I am almost certain that either the board itself or the LCD is failing.

If you're comfortable taking it apart again, verify the LCD connection to the motherboard. If it's still securely connected and still not working, then you should take it to the Apple store and get a quote for a new logic board (motherboard)

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

yeach! i will do so but can i communicate with u guys later to let u know?

OSXpert :

Certainly. You can either post a new question just like you did for this one, or you can send me a question directly if you prefer by clicking my profile name.

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

thank you i will do so.

OSXpert :

good deal. Let me know if you need more help for now. If you're happy with the information I have given you, please "Accept" this conversation so I am compensated for my work. If not, let's keep working until you're satisfied.

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

so i opened itagain , verified everything then turned it on and still no screen so i guess i have to go to a specialist....

OSXpert :

Bummer, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like the logic board

OSXpert :

Unfortunately, it is the single most expensive component in the system. It may not even be worth replacing, depending on the quote from Apple

JACUSTOMER-1fob1lrb- :

thank you for your help, i will accept as your infos were highly useful.happy holidays anyway!

OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
OSXpert
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer