OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I have an original MacBook, circa 2006 (Model Identifier MacBook1,1/Intel

I have an original MacBook, circa 2006 (Model Identifier: MacBook1,1/Intel Core Duo/2 GHz/L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB/Memory: 1 GB/Bus Speed: 667 MHz/Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03/SMC Version:1.4f12). The original battery will not hold a charge, but the computer still performs fine using the power adapter. I bought a replacement battery (exact same unit: Model #A1185, 10.8V---5200mAH/56.1Wh, Li-ion), but when the new one is installed the computer will not stay on -- whether the power adapter is plugged in or not. I had the vendor replace the new battery with a second unit, but the same problem occurs. What can I do?

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

Let's do this.

OSXpert :

Sounds good -- what does the battery indicator (upper right corner) say when it's plugged in?

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

On thie computer in question right now, old battery installed. The indicator says "charged".

OSXpert :

okay, put the new battery in and see what the indicator says

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

Don't I have to power down to do this?

OSXpert :

Not as long as you are plugged into the wall (assuming you don't have any issues when running off of AC power exclusively)

OSXpert :

oh wait -- just re-read your prob description...

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

That is the issue, my friend. Computer won't stay on when new battery is installed, whether power adapter is plugged in or not.

OSXpert :

computer won't stay on at all with the new battery? Whether running on AC power or just the battery?

OSXpert :

gotcha...

OSXpert :

there are a few things we can try -- but they are going to involve you having to reboot the machine and such...first, bookmark this page so you can come back to me...

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

Bookmarked...

OSXpert :

alright, let's first try resetting PRAM...one sec

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

Did that multiple times last night...

OSXpert :

Okay...no dice I take it?

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

No dice.

OSXpert :

Alrighty -- have you tried resetting the SMC?

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

Explain.

OSXpert :

You need to turn off the system, remove the battery, remove AC power...then hold the power button for about 10 seconds

OSXpert :

Then put humpty dumpty back together again and power it back on

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

...with the new battery? (which is fully charged, BTW)

OSXpert :

Well, perform the steps with no battery...then insert the new battery and see if it fixed the problem

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

OK. Saving this chat and exiting before powering down, yes? Then when I come back up I go to the bookmark and we'll continue (or I'll congratulate you)?

OSXpert :

yessir, I'll hang out in this chat...let me know how it goes

OSXpert :

Any luck?

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

Sorry that took so long. Initially it snapped off during the first re-boot, but then I cleared the PRAM five times and it's stayed on since. But the internal fan has been going since then -- hope that's not a bad sign.....

OSXpert :

Hmm, well, it's staying on now with the new battery?

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

So far -- looks like 20 minutes. Battery shows a 95% charge -- do you mind staying with me while I try taking off the power adapter and see if we can work without AC power?

OSXpert :

sure thing

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

Very interesting -- AC adapter is off, but the icon upper right still shows the unit as on the charger. Still functioning, though.

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

I think I'd like to reboot one more time to make sure something hinky is not still going on. game?

OSXpert :

sounds like a plan. Also, did you end up clearing the SMC when you powered down last time?

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

First thing I did. Probably a combination of the two that got us back to functionality. Back to you after the reboot.....

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

Alright, that was weird. The screen blanked when I told it to shut down, but the internal fan didn't go off. Wouldn't reboot, and the LED indicator on the AC adapter wouldn't come on when I plugged it in. I had to unseat the battery to totally power down. But then I put it back together and we seem to be in business. Batt icon shows us at 93% and charging when AC adapter is in, and changes when I take it off. Knock on wood, but I think I'm functional.

OSXpert :

Hmm, definitely some strange events, but, it sounds like your system is stable.

If you have another issue, reset PRAM and the SMC one more time -- usually when the system gets into a weird state like that, resetting the two will get things back in order again

JACUSTOMER-2cr6izff- :

You earned your money, friend. Thanks.

OSXpert :

Thank you. Let me know if you have any more questions or need more advice