Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I installed 4.2i to my 3g iphone last night. Today, two apps

Customer Question
I installed 4.2i to my...
I installed 4.2i to my 3g iphone last night. Today, two apps are missing on my iPhone but are still present on iTunes. How do I get them restored to my iPhone intact?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Mac Genius replied 7 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

#1 - What apps are they?

#2 - Did you purchase them with a different Apple ID than the one you primarily use?

Keeper (the most important one) and White Noise. I repurchased White Noise. But I need all the Keeper passwords restored. Yes, I've always used same ID numbers for purchasing as far as I know.

Have you done a backup prior to updating to 4.2 via iTunes?
I completed a backup prior to updating to 4.2. At least itunes showed backup as one of its steps.
Okay. Your Keeper information is stored in the backup, so I would suggest doing a DFU restore. It is likely that your Keeper & White Noise may have had installation issues with upgrading to 4.2.

Perform a DFU restore (which is significantly different from a standard restore).

First, keep your SIM card removed. Then, with your iPhone is plugged in to your PC, hold the Home and Power until your iPhone powers down, continue holding Home and Power for a full 4 seconds.

If you are having trouble with this, please refer to the video below for assistance.

Release the Power while still holding the Home key until iTunes tells you the iPhone is in recovery (your iPhone screen will be black, but it is on) and then doing the restore to latest firmware.

After the restore, when prompted, do not restore from backup. You want to Restore From Backup (choose the appropriate backup--latest one). Insert your SIM card to your iPhone when prompted. Your iPhone may need to activate via iTunes. From there, re sync your contacts, calendars, music, and apps.

Update me on the results.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.
What is the sim card?
Your AT&T SIM card. On the top of the iPhone 3G you will have a slot with a small hole on it.

Use a paper clip to apply controlled force to push down into the hole. The slot will pop out and you can remove the SIM card.
got it. I will now try your suggestion
Great. Good luck. Update me on the results.
I'm confused. I'm not seeing restore to latest firmware anyplace
After your iPhone is in DFU (black screen with iTunes saying your iPhone is in recovery mode), simply press the Restore button and it install the latest firmware.
Sorry for the delay, but I'm going to start over.
No problem. Let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues.
Is the Restore and Update the button I want to click on. I get a warning that I will lost all my stuff.
Yes it is. As long as you have backed up your iPhone, the info is stored in iTunes.
okay. hope you're right
Update me on the results.
You confuse me in your earlier message. You say do not restore from back. Then you say restore from back choosing a backup. Will that be clear as the process progresses?
That was a typo, I apologize. It should read:

After the restore, when prompted, be sure to restore from backup. You want to Restore From Backup (choose the appropriate backup--latest one). Insert your SIM card to your iPhone when prompted. Your iPhone may need to activate via iTunes. From there, re sync your contacts, calendars, music, and apps.

Thanks. I'll let you know how things go.

Oops. I'm getting a message from itunes to disconnect and insert sims card. Advice?

Is this after you have done the DFU mode and had the firmware install?
I don't know because I didn't see the final messages from itunes because I was communicating with you. Sorry.
iTunes would have had a prompt stating "The restore was complete. Leave your iPhone plugged in...".

Did you see such a prompt?
I received a response saying the restore was complete, but I don't recall seeing leave your iphone plugged in. I did see response earlier saying installing software.
Great, sounds like you have pushed the software back to factory.

Okay, insert your SIM card, and then when prompted, select to Restore Backup from (your iPhone name) and then continue.

After that is complete, make sure all your contacts and such are on your iPhone.

Then you will need to sync all your apps and music.

Update me on the results.
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius
Should I disconnect before replacing SIM?
No, remain connected.
I tried that, but iTunes continues to say Disconnect and insert SIMs on the screen.
Hmmm...

Okay, disconnect your iPhone, insert the SIM, wait about 15 seconds, then connect your iPhone to your PC.
Hey. Looks good. Restoring from backup is now taking place.
Great! After the restore completes, sync all your apps and music.

Then see if your info is in the Keeper app.
sync is in progress. Will take a while because of all the music. I'll let you know the outcome.
Great! Good luck!
After all that work, everything got synced except for a large number of apps. The apps are still on itunes. Any other way to sync them back to iphone? I think I screw up when my iphone originally went to sync i hit the slide on the phone which stopped the sync, and I had to reconnect to start the sync again. Darn!!
Did you get the apps synced the second time?

My second effort failed. :-( Apps were still missing. Frustrated I did more Web surfing and found a very simple solution to the problem at the following Website:

http://freeiphoner.com/how-to-restore-iphone-3g-app-store-applications-after-restoring-jailbroken-iphone/

See its suggestion # XXXXX That is, I connected the phone to the site, clicked the Apps button that it suggests (not the one on the left - the one I had been looking at that showed all my apps - but the one on the top/middle). When I click it, it shows me all of my original apps, with boxes on the left. For some reason only some of these boxes had been checked, the apps that I had been able to recover. Voila, I check all the unchecked boxes, and then press the Apply button at the bottom, which starts the sync. This time all apps with all their information get synced to the iPhone. What joy!

So, if anyone asks the question of missing apps following a sync, a good initial question to them would be, "Have you checked the apps button at the top, middle of itunes to see whether all apps have had their side boxes checked." In this case, such a suggestion would have saved both of us much time. Maybe you assumed that I had already done so, but I think it still would have helped to ask the question. I hope this message is clear. In conclusion, while your answers failed to solve my problem, all my apps are back on the iPhone with all information on them, including the Keeper app.

No problem. I assumed that you have checked for the apps being checked. And secondly, there was no disclosure that the iPhone had been jailbroken (which would have prompted me to ask).

Anyhow, I am happy that you are good to go. Have a great day!
I don't think my iPhone has been jailbroken. Anyway I've never done a jailbreak that I am aware of. Wouldn't the solution have been appropriate even without the jailbreak?
Yes, but unless the user has deselected the apps themselves, there is no reason they would have been unchecked, which is why I skipped that route.

Jailbreaking sometimes checks some or all apps from the list.

The only other reason I can think or is if there was a botched download or install either from the iPhone or from iTunes, which deselected the app, but this is rare.
I'm assuming the charge will be $28.00. Is that correct?
That is correct. If you have any questions about billing, you can contact customer service at [email protected]

Thank you and have a great weekend!

I just received a Visa bill from itunes for $44.00, which I assume is for your consultation. I understood that I would be billed $28.00. How do I rectify the discrepancy. Thanks for any help in this matter.

Stuart Keeley

This question was for $28, which is correct.

I have no control over billing, but I will put in a request for customer service to contact you about the issue, or you can email them directly at [email protected]
Oops! My mistake. Sorry to have wasted your time. I see now that the $28.00 charge is posted and under Just Answer, as promised. So, the $44.00 charge from iTunes is something else that I will have to run down. Not your problem.
No problem. Enjoy your weekend!
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius