The Mac Daddy
The Mac Daddy, Mac Genius
Experience:  Worked for 5 years as a Mac Genius in one of Apple's most prestigious flagship stores.
49981040

Having a problem with PC connection for IMOVIE or Final Cut

Having a problem with PC connection for IMOVIE or Final Cut Pro. Software does not detect camera. It acts like it does but video does not show up in capture window. Software says it detects it but when I click on download from camera, it says no camera connected.
Category: Mac
Expert:  The Mac Daddy replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I would be happy to help!

I just need a little more information to help you find the best solution...

- What is the make/model of your camera?
- Are you shooting on to MiniDV tape, or onto an SD Card? If not either of those 2, then what?
- What connection are you using? USB or FireWire?

Let me know and we can proceed from there.

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Canon VIXIA HF R10

Shooting on to a HD - card for photos

USB connection

Realize I probably need firewire for the FCP?
- What version of Final Cut and iMovie are you using?
- What operating system are you running? 10.6.5 Snow Leopard, 10.5.8 Leopard?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
10.5.8

IMOVIE 8

FCP 5.0.4
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have a duel processor so I changed the camera to Standard. IMOVIE tells me to do that. It detects camera, scans but then the capture window does not come up with the clips. It says if the capture window does not appear, click on download from camera. When I do this, it says camera is not connected
Ok...

What is happening is that your camera is using a format called AVCHD so the files it outputs are .mts files instead of the standard .mp4 or .mov etc...

Later versions of iMovie (09 and later) and Final Cut Pro (6 and later) have the ability to recognize this file format and AVCHD videos in general... The versions you have installed will not, as they were released at a time before AVCHD.

AVCHD is quite a new way of compressing video and does not yet have an industry standard (so as a result the files and coding change on monthly basis, and vary by manufacturer).

So you have a couple of options to solve your problem:

1) Get the latest version of iLife (iLife 11) which will also require you to upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6) to get working.

OR

2) You can download either of these two applications to convert the video for you in to a format readable by either FCP or iMovie:
VoltaicHD
iSkyLoft Video Converter

Be warned though, that it can take a VERY long time to convert the video using either of these applications and you will need a HUGE amount of Hard Drive space to contain the files (you are probably better off using an external drive).

My advice would be to upgrade your Operating System and get the latest version of iLife, as you will get more benefit, but the decision is yours.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps!

****PLEASE READ****

- If you feel that my answer was helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button otherwise I won't get paid and money remains in JustAnswer limbo!
- Feedback is important and helps other people make a better decision. It only takes 15 seconds to fill out.
- Bonuses and thank you notes are very much appreciated! :)

Please contact me directly (or save my site) at http://bit.ly/themacdaddy if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Thank you!
PS. If you do not have an Intel Processor then Voltaic HD is your ONLY option...

All the other apps require an Intel Processor to work including Snow Leopard and iLife 11.

****PLEASE READ****

Thank you!