Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

i think i have a virus on my hotmail account! I can see in

my deleted mails that it...
i think i have a virus on my hotmail account! I can see in my deleted mails that it is sending commercial emails to my contacts and i receive post master delivery failure notifications all the time... adresses i don't know! i changed my pasword already and security question...i tried installind avast on my mac, but i don't think its working! please help!
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2010
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

For clarification, we are not Microsoft. Hotmail does not provide any live (email/chat/phone) support for its FREE customers.

It is likely that your account has been compromised by a hacker --- most likely due to a low complexity password XXXXX a successful phishing attempt.

I understand the steps you have taken, but I want to make sure that all avenues are covered. If you have exhausted these options, it is highly unlikely you will ever recover your account.

If you can log in to your account at http://www.live.com, then click on your name in the upper right corner of the window, and go to Account.

From here, change your password, security question, and password XXXXX email address.

Also, before you log in, look at the address bar of your browser to make sure you are on the right site to log in. (i.e. make sure your address bar says https://www.hotmail.com and not something like http:// 123abc. randomurl.com/ www.hotmail.com/). A lot of phishers/hackers have been using the tactic of making a page look exactly like your log on page to trick you into typing your password.

If in doubt, type in the base URL yourself (i.e. http://www.hotmail.com) in the browser.

Hotmail technical support phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN but I will forewarn you. Unless you are a Hotmail Plus (paid service) member, you will most likely not be able to get any support over the phone.

The problem with free e-mail services is that they rely on security question/answer combinations for verification. If you forget these and/or your account is hacked and a hacker changes the info, you have no way to verify your account. With paid e-mail services, you can easily verify your identity by verifying your billing information.

In the future, you must remember that no email service provider will ever ask you for username/password XXXXX any personal information (address, birthdate, etc.).

Once you have changed your password, security question, and alternative email, you should have not this issue anymore.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.

Hello!
So i changed everything as you said...now i am a bit scarred. How will i know if it worked?
First, you should not be scared for a series of reasons.

#1 - There realistically are no viruses on the Mac OS. Viruses are written in most cases to attack Visual Basic environments (i.e. Windows). Mac has a Linux based and most viruses just cannot translate.

#2 - If you changed your password, unless it was super simple or your security question/answer combination was obviously easy to guess, there is no way anyone can get into your account, unless you gave them the password.

Strong Password XXXXX keeping your password XXXXX will keep your email save.

Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius
hello Clark!
You answer seems to have worked! i am just waiting to acdept the answer, as i want to make sure the virus is gone. Maybe i am a bit stupid, but i didn't think it would cost that much money, so i want to make sure my issue is solved, before i pay. I would be a good idea to make it clearer that the minimum ammount for an answer is 42$. Not that i discredit your work, but it's expensive!
Thank you
I have no control over how the pricing is set up... I actually have no control over any money on this site. Wink

If you have questions or comments about the pricing, you can send an email to [email protected] and customer service will contact you about your concerns.

I'm happy that I could assist you.

When you are satisfied, just press the ACCEPT button and I will be credited for my time.

Have a great day!
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius