Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

This is not a valid file when I attempt to save document

"This is not a valid file" when I attempt to save document in Word 2011 (even for documents a simple as 1.docx attempted to save to Desktop.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am one of the experts here on Just answer.com

When you get this error message are you doing a save as to set the file name?
Sometimes you receive this message it the save as window is set to show all file types vs the specific extension because when it is set to show all file types it doesn't have a format to auto save as unless you type in the extension of .docx at the end of what you want to name the file

Also with 2011 seem to have come a number of restrictions to file naming conventions both in the full path of the file and in the name so if you have any special characters you cannot even use / in the name even thought mac osx supports it.

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 11/13/2010 at 7:00 AM EST
If the above isn't helpful please let me know and we can continue working on this issue
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I get the error message "This is Not a Valid File..." I am trying to Save using simple file name and default .docx extension (example: 123.docx) I've even entered the entire file name and extension from scratch and still get the error message. On searching online it seems that a few others are experiencing similar issue but Microsoft has NOTHING in its Office 2011 web page/support regarding this. Seems they are more interested in marketing the product than they are in supporting it. In any event,
I've also learned from online blogs that my Normal.dotm universal template file in my Home/ LIBRARY/Application Support/ User Templates/ Microsoft/ MY Templates/Normal.dotm folder is messed up or corrupted and may be causing the problem. The error message says "The Open XML file Normal.dotm cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents or the file name might contain invalid characters.." I have renamed the file Normal1.dotm and rebooted Word but stillget the error message "The Global; file Normal.dotm cannot be opened and then later the "This file is not valid.." when I try to save.
Thoughts: maybe I didn't get everything out when I uninstalled the Office app(s) in order to reinstall it.
I'm desperate enough to consider doing a reinstall of my OS 10.6 operating system and reinstalling all my apps including Office 2011. (After I save all my Docs and data files of course) If we end up doing that I need to learn how to retrieve docs/data from Time Machine after clean install. I will be in and out all day today (Saturday 13 November) so please be patient with me in responding.Thanks.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
Serial Number (system): W80096F266E
Hardware UUID: E7276350-128E-52B6-AF72-39152326D7E9
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Well lets not go as far as wiping your os just yet

A couple questions

1) can you tell me the name of your hard drive? just want to make sure its not a naming convention

2) have you always received this error message since installing office 2011?

3) Do you have a usb external hard drive or flash drive we can connect to your computer and try saving a file directly to that to see if it has to do with folder names or anything on your standard hard drive.

Thanks and sorry for the delay in getting back to you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The name of my Hard Drive WAS MB 13". I changed it to comply with Office 2011 naming conventions (?) to 13MBP. I am now able to boot Word 2011 without any error message AND ABLE TO SAVE TO THE RENAMED HD and also to a flash drive. Problem solved. Thanks for your help. I think Just Answer is a wonderful service and a great value
Glad I could help